Tealight makers dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Ikea have stopped marketing the little round Glass GLIMMA tea light holders.

They have now moved up to a fancier SQUARE GLASIG
glasig-candle-holder__0368121_PE549846_S4[1].jpg

Who's got a spare Bench Morticer

Attachments

• glasig-candle-holder__0368121_PE549846_S4[1].jpg
    glasig-candle-holder__0368121_PE549846_S4[1].jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,183
I got some from Wilkinsons not found on their site so maybe a visit to one of their stores. I have found this in the past where they are not on the website but they hold them in store. But check the sizes

I was going to ask about this, as I wanted to make two tea lights for the comp. What's the best option now bearing in mind I'm a beginner xD

CHJ":ens3sa7m said:
Ikea have stopped marketing the little round Glass GLIMMA tea light holders.

They have now moved up to a fancier SQUARE GLASIG

Who's got a spare Bench Morticer

Segmented turners dream come true, glue together to fit the square, you only need to turn the outside then!

Woodmonkey":qmrgzkfn said:
Segmented turners dream come true, glue together to fit the square, you only need to turn the outside then!
True and already sketched out for some projects but a big percentage of Tea Light holders are turned from interesting left overs in little or no significant time.

Looks like I have some coming from Germany later this month to fill immediate needs but not a day to day solution, haven't been able to get to wilco to see what they have.

Bigbud78":240566sr said:
I was going to ask about this, as I wanted to make two tea lights for the comp. What's the best option now bearing in mind I'm a beginner xD

Ideally you use a class inset to form a heat dispersion barrier between the metal candle container and the wood, they also add a bit of extra sparkle to the light.

DSCN4732.JPG

CHJ":1mhm9lnf said:
Bigbud78":1mhm9lnf said:

Ideally you use a class inset to form a heat dispersion barrier between the metal candle container and the wood, they also add a bit of extra sparkle to the light.

DSCN4732.JPG

Ahh these are the Ikea ones ? whats the next best thing then without square ?

Bigbud78":afco4dr3 said:
Ahh these are the Ikea ones ?

Yes these are IKEA GLIMMA, I have had some from Germany, (Xmas Markets and stores) in the past that are almost identical just an odd mm in hole size different.

At the risk of being abused as I was in another forum - I have discussed wooden tealight holders with a recently-retired senior fire officer who has personal experience of attending a fatal tealight fire. His unequivocal advice was that there is no need whatsoever for a barrier between tealights and wooden tealight holders. He went on to say that he considered wood an ideal material to separate tealights from whatever other surface you want to put them on. He considers my wooden tealight holders to not represent a fire hazard. They don't have inserts.

Tesco were doing these in packs of 5 for about £2.99. No idea if they're still there but I think they are (the big Tesco Extra stores).

They did just two colours, regular glass and red glass.

Tea light bowls 7.jpg
Tea light bowls 2.jpg

Attachments

• Tea light bowls 2.jpg
    Tea light bowls 2.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 1,898
  • Tea light bowls 7.jpg
    Tea light bowls 7.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 1,898
Local Wilco did not have Any of any size, just loads of the tea light candles, and candles in pots.

Andy,
Seems like a case of deja vu here! I also took advice from the local fire service. Their advice was to use a glass insert.

Given the variable nature and quality of tea lights and their foil holders (assuming the foil holders are used - you can't guarantee what someone might or might not put in further down the line) I think the use of the glass inserts, even if excessive, reduces the risk of fire due to misuse and for the pennies they cost, I don't see a problem with using them.

Perhaps us woodturners should get a petition together to persuade Ikea to reinstate the round glass holders!

Paul Hannaby":3pd6g42l said:
Andy,
Seems like a case of deja vu here! I also took advice from the local fire service. Their advice was to use a glass insert.
Yes Paul, deja vu, but people are polite here.

My friend is very happy about the fire resistance of wood - at worst it chars at the temperatures you can get with tea lights, but that's flame temperature, not the temperature of the foil cup, and for many woods the tea light flame temperature is below the charring temperature. I don't for a minute suggest that people shouldn't use inserts, they may want the cosmetic appearance. All I'm saying is they don't need to use them.

andygc":2cg04thd said:
Paul Hannaby":2cg04thd said:
Andy,
Yes Paul, deja vu, but people are polite here.

My friend is very happy about the fire resistance of wood - at worst it chars at the temperatures you can get with tea lights, but that's flame temperature, not the temperature of the foil cup, and for many woods the tea light flame temperature is below the charring temperature. I don't for a minute suggest that people shouldn't use inserts, they may want the cosmetic appearance. All I'm saying is they don't need to use them.

What wood was your friend testing and what was the wax in the t lights? Both can vary and make a difference. As t lights are often left unattended I would suggest that it is a potential hazard that simply isn't worth the risk. Some t lights especially ones imported are made of paraffin wax that burns at a much higher temperature. Paraffin wax without additives ignites at about 200 degrees c. without additives it is about 250. try subjecting wood to that sort of heat and see what happens. Most cheap t lights and candles are made of this wax not the lower burning soya.

Pete

Latest posts

Back