Teak Swing Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well actually I ain't done the frame yet but the seat was finished last week.

Can anyone point me to where I can see a half decent swing frame I could copy?

131387163_1edc517f30.jpg

131387165_4236710d4e.jpg

Now that's very nice indeed, would be good to have construction details explained.

regarding the frame have you thought of searching Home & Gardens, I'm sure there will be examples out there.

Lovely work: at the risk of asking a dumb question, what's the finish? (teak oil??? :oops: ) and how'd you apply it? Looks great.

Very nice - did you use theNorm/NYW plans ? (as it looks very similar,and equally well made :D )

Andrew

Shady":3521v6d4 said:
Lovely work: at the risk of asking a dumb question, what's the finish? (teak oil??? :oops: ) and how'd you apply it? Looks great.

To answer your question first Shady. It is just teak oil, I just slosh it on with a 1/2" brush, leave it for five minutes then wipe off any surplus.

Yes PT it is from the bearded chequered wonder :norm: plans :D

Swing update...

Or rather an update to the swing frame.

Not liking any of the designs for ready made plans that are available on the net I decided to have a go at it myself, so using aproximately 4"x 1 1/4" timber plus two rails 2"x 2" i've come up with this.
149200697_c2a54e5828.jpg

Any suggestions for a suitable timber? I've run out of funds for teak. :oops:

The design idea is there however a suggestion:

It looks good, sleek and simple but...there is not strength to accomodate side forces, perhaps a corner diagonal brace in two corners?

Maybe I'm wrong? :roll:

nonidentity":37jbdljb said:
there is not strength to accomodate side forces, perhaps a corner diagonal brace in two corners? :roll:

I've slightly updated the design since doing the drawing and all three rails are now 5" x 1 1/4" as the top rail is in the drawing. Not shown in the drawing (which was done for sizing and angles) is that I will use through tennons on the ends of the three rails and then locked with through wedges to hold it all together, doing this gives it more bracing for side forces and of course I can take it to pieces to move it :)

Any suggestions for a finish for Iroko?

Ps... All eight mortices had to be cut by hand at 17*, I must make a note to buy a decent mortice chisel, I wonder where Alf gets hers from? :D

Back