Tea lights

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Some last minute requests by the wife for some tea lights(have to keep her sweet). 6 Tea light holders 3 left natural wood, 2 walnut 1 Field maple and 3 with coloured tops 2 Field maple and 1 ash the lower section left natural.

DSCF0775 (800x608).jpg

DSCF0778 (800x598).jpg

DSCF0780 (800x537).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0775 (800x608).jpg
    DSCF0775 (800x608).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 775
  • DSCF0778 (800x598).jpg
    DSCF0778 (800x598).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 775
  • DSCF0780 (800x537).jpg
    DSCF0780 (800x537).jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 775
Good to see the glass inserts in these pieces so many retailers sell bare wood for tea lights, the risk of fire is huge. Nice work to, simple flowing shapes work for me.

Lazurus":2o5hjk5o said:
Good to see the glass inserts in these pieces so many retailers sell bare wood for tea lights, the risk of fire is huge. Nice work to, simple flowing shapes work for me.

Thank you. I never make them without the inserts, well worth bringing that up as new turners may try without

Normally I'm not that picky, but Lazurus, can you define 'Huge Risk'; a huge tisk to me would be over 75% chance. Are there in fact any statistics or is it just a perception?

Not that I make tea lights, but I do deal with 'Risk' and very often find that the perceived risk is not a real risk. eg Risk of blinding by playing Conkers or risk of people being struck by falling hanging baskets.

Phil

Always an interesting one this. I too deal with risk professionally and am often asked to weigh possible impact and likelihood against the cost/effort involved to reduce that risk significantly. I don't, I should point out, have any statistical model for this however it seems to me that a good glass or metal insert significantly reduces the risk of a catastrophic fire. Admittedly that risk is also mediated by the quality of tealight used (very cheap ones DO spit and smoke), user judgements, ignorance, environmental conditions, chance and the quality/fire safety of the rest of the built environment amongst many other things. They are inexpensive and generally improve the aesthetic of tealight holders (can be concealed if needed). I have always used inserts. Just one of those things that makes sense to me. Sorry if that sounded like a rant, I did knock off work an hour ago, merry crimbo all

Sorry, my first thought was I really like those - really nice proportions and tones, hope they were well received

I'm following this with interest. I received this as a Christmas gift.
805ecd489cab6e5a7eb467fa006ab3d5.jpg

It's an oak star tealight holder. I've got some gone off fireproof varnish if it really needs it ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Some tea light candles can get hot and I don't mean just the flame and I know that none of mine have caught fire due to me not using an insert.
What people do with them after they have got them like leave them unattended of removing the glass/metal insert is down to them, I have done everything that I can at my end. This has been on many forums and 90% of people that I have encountered also believe the same as I do and always use inserts.
At the end of the day it is down to yourselves as to what you do, but please think about it before making them without.
I am not trying to be the safety police but hopefully just using common sense.

Seems commonsense to me to include the insert, rather than consider it as numerical risk. The wax is more likely to get on the wood and be difficult to clean without an insert. I can't see the wood catching fire but I can see it charring which from an aesthetic viewpoint is not good BUT if the wood is treated eg sanding sealer/ polish etc that has a real chance of causing a fire without the insert.

Should be using ALARP ( As low as reasonable practicable ) as a basic principle rather than attempting to measure the risk.

Brian

This came up in a previous thread.

I have discussed this issue with a senior retired fire officer who, in his earlier service years, attended tea light fires, one of which was fatal. His comment - he can't think of anything better to put under and round a tea light than wood - it does not catch light. He did observe that tea lights on the edges of plastic bathtubs and on the tops of television sets do cause fires, which could have been prevented by putting a thin wooden mat between tea light and plastic.

If you like inserts, by all means use them. If you don't like inserts, don't worry.

Latest posts

Back