tall kitchen units or 2 base units ontop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cult

Established Member
Reaction score
Im re-arranging my kitchen and have it half installed and on one corner, i half 500deep x 700 wide because the external room opens inwards. I was going to make up a tall unit which will be 600mmx500 deep plus a packer piece. I also have 2x 500 wide base units with doors left over so i was thinking of maybe putting one on top of the other and have a 200mm wine rack up the side. Will cut the base units down to 500deep instead of the 600mm. What do you think, would this look ok or should i just make a tall unit out of oak paneling. On a very tight budget which is making me think i might get away with the 2 base units ontop of each other.

Certainly the cheapest way and no reason why not if on a limited budget. I reconstructed several kitchens during our early married life when feeding the kids and paying the mortgage were a higher priority.

Bob

No reason not to do this if you are happy with it looking a little bit "unusual". But if one side of the paired units is exposed, it might be an idea to clad it with a single tall panel; would look better and give some mechanical support to the units. How were you thinking of joining them otherwise?

graduate_owner":1fbk5s3y said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In other words, what does your wife think about the idea?

K

I havent said to her yet :oops:

dickm":9wnlkyd0 said:
No reason not to do this if you are happy with it looking a little bit "unusual". But if one side of the paired units is exposed, it might be an idea to clad it with a single tall panel; would look better and give some mechanical support to the units. How were you thinking of joining them otherwise?

I had the paneling in mind. The base units are 720 tall, so 2x720 is 1440mm plus the kicker board is 150mm that is 1590mm. That still leaves me short to be inline with the wall unit that is 1970 or 2100mm. I might just have to make the tall unit up from scratch. Its getting doors for it. This kitchen was made in 2002 and finding it difficult to locate the same type door. Have checked on ebay, there is similar but not the same.

Back