Talking about lucky boys.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisfarrow

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst absolutely acknowledging that this is nothing compared to Babylon355's nasty accident....

I was leaning over the lathe trying to smooth the inside of a vessel, peering inside as I turned. I was using a 13mm round scraper. Got a catch, tool pivoted on the toolrest, end of the handle (and my hand which was on it) smacked me straight in the eye....and this was the result....

Bent.jpg

I have absolutely no damage or injury.....I'm amazed! I have a face shield (this style http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/product ... /APFS8_MST) but wasn't wearing it as it was getting in the way of weeing inside the vessel and I was well out of the line of rotation so should have been safe from lumps flying off. My hand cushioned the blow quite well, but what forces must have been going through the steel to bend it like that??

Any straightforward way to straighten it? Is it worth bothering?

Attachments

• Bent.jpg
    Bent.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 1,037
I'm glad you escaped that one without injury!

Looking at the point where the tool bent perhaps it was extended too far over the rest to give you safe control? If I recall, the rule of thumb (yes another one!) is 1:5 over the rest : behind the rest for scrapers and 1:3 for gouges.

I'm no metallurgist but it may be that bending the tool back could cause fatigue or cracks in the steel so it might be safer to get a new one.

Hi Paul, suspect you're right. It was the wrong tool for for what I was trying to do as well. The edge scraper worked much better. A lesson well learned.

Suspect you're right about the possibility / probability of fatigue / fault and as ROB points out in succinct fashion, my eyes are worth more than that :wink: Oh well, didn't much like that particular scraper anyway!

chrisfarrow":1q8fjv3p said:
I have absolutely no damage or injury.....I'm amazed! I have a face shield (this style http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/product ... /APFS8_MST) but wasn't wearing it as it was getting in the way of weeing inside the vessel and I was well out of the line of rotation so should have been safe from lumps flying off. My hand cushioned the blow quite well, but what forces must have been going through the steel to bend it like that??

the mind boggles - you were lucky it was only a woodturning tool that got damaged :shock:

Hint for future use of scrapers, sharpen a small negative rake angle on the top side of your scraper, you can then use it on or slightly above centre and horizontal (not sloping down) this will avoid catches and also give you a better finish, sharpen it with a little diamond hone.

Scraper grind.jpg

Andy

Attachments

• Scraper grind.jpg
    Scraper grind.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 895
paul-c":3gqqs7v3 said:
chrisfarrow":3gqqs7v3 said:

the mind boggles - you were lucky it was only a woodturning tool that got damaged :shock:

bad workshop practice weeing into spinning things..... :) scary also

Back