Taken the Plunge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well at last I've done it, I sent in my letter yesterday to take early retirement, last day in Nigeria is the 19th Dec with the final retirement day being 17th Jan.

I have to say I was a bit apprehensive just before I pushed the "send" key.

Its a strange feeling when you've worked all your life and then it comes to an end. Not that I'm complaining, I'm really looking forward to as much WS time as I want.

Congratulations Waka - you know it makes sense! :)

FWIW, I work a lot with those approaching retirement and the early retired, and I take great heart from the fact that most people seem to lead the life of Riley on relatively modest means. Most reckon that a pension of half salary is worth 3/4 in retirement as they are no longer paying National Insurance, pension contributions, mortgage hopefully gone and children flown the nest. Nor do you need to replace 2 suits a year. Roll on!!

Well done Waka, all the best

RogerM":1dc4djlp said:
Most reckon that a pension of half salary is worth 3/4 in retirement as they are no longer paying National Insurance, pension contributions, mortgage hopefully gone and children flown the nest. Nor do you need to replace 2 suits a year. Roll on!!

wow, can't wait... only another 40yrs for me :? :-k

RogerM wrote:

Nor do you need to replace 2 suits a year.

Whats with these suit thingis - no dress code in the Civil Service, :roll: haven't worn a tie either since I left teaching - Rob

Well done Waka,

have a long and happy retirement. I can recomend it,mind you in 12 months time you will realise you wouldn't have time to go back to work even if you wanted to. :D :D

Alan.

Waka

Well done. :D
I was very disappointed when the company I work for changed the pension/retirement age. When I joined it was 60, but the cost increases on the pensions has made them change it to 65. It put an extra 50% on my time left to work, major bummer. ](*,)

Waka, enjoy.

I'm firmly of the belief that pensions, like the infernal combustion engine, will be seen by historians as a phenomenon of the 20th century, because, in there present form, they are simply unsustainable. It's just not possible to put aside 5 or 10% for 40 years and live off it for another 40, which will be the norm by the time today's babies reach this stage of their life.

I don't ever expect to be able to retire (assuming I ever have something from which to retire!). I'll either drop dead next week from liver failure (where is my pint?) or I'll work 'til I'm 90. Mind you, it would be nice to live to be 100 and then be shot dead by a jealous husband...

As I said, enjoy. Me? I have a job interview next week. Fx.

Well done Waka
you wont regret it every day is a holiday
This is my first Summer in retirement and I am enjoying every minute of it,
The one drawback as far as SHMBO is concerned is that she now has twice the husband and half the salary Enjoy

Nigel

All the best Waka you lucky man, I envy you. I only have another ten years left but will retire in about five hopefully, roll on. :D

Hi Waka

Congratulations.

You'll now have the time to fill your workshop with all those wonderful tools you must have. Of course, you won't make Philly jealous. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Congratulations, Waka!
I hope you enjoy your unlimited WS time!
Cheers
Stewart

Waka
I am not totally sure that I can afford to have you in retirement - you bloody cost me enough when you are 'working' ! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, well done mate!

See ya soon.
Martin

mahking51":fp7zd4xi said:
Waka
I am not totally sure that I can afford to have you in retirement - you bloody cost me enough when you are 'working' ! :lol: :lol:

I didn't know tea was that expensive, I'll bring my own in future :roll: :roll:

Hi Waka,
As has been said already, you'll wonder how you had time to work inside 6 months. :eek:
I wish you all the best for a long & happy retirement.

cheers, sliver. :wink:

Latest posts

Back