Tail vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louisvn

Reaction score
I am upgrading my workbench and plan to have a tail vice to my new upgraded workbench.
Can any one help with the construction detail of a traditional tail vice?
Thank you

There are quite a few ways to do it and of course how traditional you want to be. Here are a couple to start with.
selfmade wooden Tail Vise, Workbench Part III - YouTube

010 Tail vise for my woodworking workbench. TOOLMAKE19 - YouTube

My tail vice was an afterthought but as I had a spare vice all I had to add was a dog.
P1010006.JPGP1010007.JPG
Not as traditional but works.
Regards
John

You mean something like this?
I tweaked the design a little bit but it worked perfect!

Cheers,

Ferenc

Attachments

• bench tail vice.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • tail vice.pdf
    281.5 KB · Views: 0
There are quite a few ways to do it and of course how traditional you want to be. Here are a couple to start with.
selfmade wooden Tail Vise, Workbench Part III - YouTube

010 Tail vise for my woodworking workbench. TOOLMAKE19 - YouTube

My tail vice was an afterthought but as I had a spare vice all I had to add was a dog.
View attachment 150765View attachment 150766
Not as traditional but works.
Regards
John
I looked a a similar solution for my bench but my concern was that the work peice could not be held easily on the front edge of the bench. I see the primary appication of the tail vice to hold boards on the bench surface for planing. I am planning a wagon vice on my bench, sorry @Louisvn I've not build it yet so can't offer any pictures/construction details but it will be similar to this.

Fitz.

If you want a really simple version have a look at a moxon vice. Easy to make.

I've put a traditional leg vice on my workbench and it has been fantastic. Thinking of adding a moxon or end vice so I can clamp things flat on the bench with some bench dogs.

Back