Table top for tiles/mosaic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl P

Established Member
Reaction score
My better half has got into tiling and fancies having a go at a small table which I have offered to make for her - I'm going to use plywood for the top but does anyone know if it needs preparing in any way before the tiles are glued on?

Thanks,

Carl

dont use pva as once the addy touches it the pva will become live again. you can get primers for as little as £10 from topps/tile giant. then a ready mix addy should do the trick.

Thanks for that - I've just had a book arrive after I posted that says exctly that (without explaining why) diluted PVA on both sides (to stop warping), just seems a little too easy!

Cheerio,

Carl

PS Just seen post about primers - will look into that, haven't started table yet, so plenty of time!

Thanks again, Carl

Thanks for the post - interesting. However, without intending to get into an ongoing discussion, just a few points.
Any manufacturer is going to recommend the use of it's own undercoat/primer - why give the money to someone else?
When you use dilute PVA, you're only slowing the moisture absorbtion, you're not trying to create a waterproof skin. If the PVA softens, so what?
Even if there was a waterproof layer, it's perfectly possible to tile over smoother, more impervious surfaces than that.
A quick google on other sites - every time someone says no way should you use PVA, someone else says you should. I've worked with tilers and decorators over the years that have never used any other than PVA - the only problems I've seen is a surface hasn't been primed with anything at all, and tiles have dropped off a year or two later.

Yeah, I don't disagree; early on I primed with PVA many times without any issue, and in all honesty the primers from the adhesive companies frequently look like PVA, smell like PVA and taste like PVA (don't ask...) so in all likelihood are PVA-based. But the difference in cost between the 'proper' primers and PVA is so slight (a few quid extra vs the cost of a re-tile) that for me, it simply isn't worth taking the chance <shrug>

Follow the adhesive manufacturers recommendations for priming, adhesive mix etc... and if you have a problem, you can call on their technical bods for support; use PVA or a generic primer and obviously you won't have that luxury. Simples ;)

Back