Table Saw versus Handheld Circular Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyaspellclark

Reaction score
I am trying to set up a diy woodwork shop. mainly for carving, but also for making things (toolbox's, chests, shelving units).

I was wondering what people would say are the pros and cons of tables saw's (cheap ones - around £150) versus a handheld circular saw.

I am on a very limited budget, and have a 12 ft by 8 ft shed as a workshop.

thanks,
andy.

Hi Andy
Welcome to the forum!
A table saw is very handy for accurate work although you could use a handheld circular saw with a guide instead. Have a search on the forum, there has been a lot of discussion on this very topic recently.
Best regards
Philly :D

certainly at the 150 pound mark, i would venture to suggest that no table saw is as flexible as a circ and a guide rail, plus will take up less space.

to be of real value, you want a table saw to cut at least 600 wide, and frankly, under 500 quid that would be difficult to obtain IMHO.

paul :wink:

Well, looking at things, I guess I'll go for a circular saw, straight edge jig (and use the money saved to buy some sash clamps)

thanks everybody.

Nothing wrong with a cheap table saw. I managed with one for a long time. Around the £200 mark will get you something accurate enough for most work. Even these ones ususally have extension wings to handle wider material. They are generally noisy, and the fences don't have any fancy features, but that's not such a big problem.
I'm sorry to say that for most people it's not a case of one or the other - you'll probably want a circular saw with a homemade guide sooner or later as well :) - for the stuff that won't fit on the table saw.
Cheers
Gidon

Back