Table saw refurb- kity 618

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow. i can actually help on this one!

There are 2 issues- the cause and the replacement of the roll pin.

First, to get to the roll pin, you need to remove the handwheel and the pin that it grips on to, and the orange wheel that goes into the part that allows you to adjust the angle of the blade.
saw2.jpg
You next need to remove the part that the orange wheel connects with- the black toothy grin part on the cabinet. It is held with 8 m5 button head cap screws and nuts. These were tight on mine, and you need to get a socket on the nut to stop it spinning. If you need some replacements, i have a bag of socket cap screws and nuts- let me know. This allows just enough access to get the part out. My saw is shown without that part on.
kity 618.JPG
saw3.jpg

Inside the saw, there is a grub screw holding that handle shaft in place- you may need to remove the cabinet access panels on the saw, and play with different cutting angles to get the allen key onto it. You may have to also loosen the 2 nuts around that area that hold on the casting- I cant remember because I hadnt worked out this method until i had snapped a couple of pins. To solve the cause you need to remove these at some point, but easier if left in for now. wiggle the part that you are trying to remove about a bit and it should come out- more than likely the shaft and cog as 2 pieces. You could try to fit another pin and try again, but the problem will probably reccur. You only need to pip the part back in, nip up the grub screw and fit a roll pin for the black handle to test it.

The cause is probably it all being bunged up, and probably by where the leadscrew goes through an aluminum casting near the top. I cleaned every other part of mine before stripping fully and the problem remained.
saw7.jpg
To get the lead screw out, you need to undo the 2 nuts from the bottom green support bracket
saw6.jpg
onto the casting that held the cog you have just removed
saw5.jpg
. Ratchet spanners are handy here, in fact anything other than an adjustable spanner. You need to remove the bolt at the far end that goes through the semi circular angle track (non handle end)
saw1.jpg
, and slacken off the 2 grub screws at the top of the far end of the saw motor
saw4.jpg
. Finally, there are a couple of levers that lock things on the front- remove these. Keep the male threaded one handy (orange)- when you put the motor back on, it is useful to hold the weight of it. If I have remembered everything, you can get the motor and carriage out, leaving the support bracket in place. Work out how it all moves- it is tight, awkward and heavy but not difficult. Find somewhere to prop it, inside the cabinet. The motor lead on mine was short! Remove the two bolts on the bottom of the casting holding the cog previously removed. You can not take a rag, wrap around the cog and unscrew the lead screw. It is probably tight, which is the problem. Clean everything down, spray with dry lubricant and reassemble. You need a set of spanners, sockets may do. An adjustable spanner will be too big DAMHIKT!

Reassembly is much the reverse. the adjustment side needs putting in and then wiggling just enough to get the far side in. again, tight, heavy awkward but not difficult. Be ready to screw in the orange lever to hold it. The far side- do not nip the grub screws up tight or it locks it solid! Test it up and down before putting everything back on. Put the motor back in, and the put the handle shaft and cog in- gives you much more room.

Having done it, I would say that it is a 2 hour job to fully sort, although it took me much longer 1st time round.

I havent done so yet, but you will need to make something to make sure that the mitre slots are parallel to the blade. I am expecting to have to remove mine again, so havent fixed it down (saw not being used at moment!)

Attachments

• kity 618.JPG
    kity 618.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,328
  • saw1.jpg
    saw1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,308
  • saw2.jpg
    saw2.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,309
  • saw3.jpg
    saw3.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,308
  • saw4.jpg
    saw4.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,308
  • saw5.jpg
    saw5.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,308
  • saw6.jpg
    saw6.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,308
  • saw7.jpg
    saw7.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,308
mine is pretty accessible at present- if you need pictures or the manual, let me know.

The manual has an exploded parts diagram, but is about 2/10 in terms of usefulness!

marcros":gt668pjo said:
mine is pretty accessible at present- if you need pictures or the manual, let me know.

The manual has an exploded parts diagram, but is about 2/10 in terms of usefulness!

Marcos your a hero, a couple of photos of some of the areas you highlight in your description would be great. Also what size roll pins are needed for the replacement?

Thank you so much for this, I owe you one!!

I have just came back inside. I will nip out and take a few in a couple of minutes.

I was about to post about roll pins. Whatever they are they are metric- the ones in the cheap kits are metric versions of imperial and are rather tight. Let me go and take some pics and some measurements of the roll pins

the roll pins are either 2.4mm or 3.2mm, I cant remember which I used, but I suspect it was the latter. I bought a Hilka kit from Wilco Motorsave for a fiver. Although I moaned, it actually did the job. I drove a small pin down the centre of each larger one when fitted, to reinforce it. They need to be either 3/4" or 1" long- there is a bit of space for longer, I think I used 1" because it was all that I had left after breakages. It was a week ago now!

The handle one is tight to fit- length is only restricted by getting it in. Again, I used 1". I had to use a piece of metal bar to put on top, and hit the bar carefully- a hammer wouldnt fit into the space. You need to refit the toothed piece of the cabinet before you can fit the orange hand wheel, then the pin, then the black hand wheel.

Do get yourself a handful of m6 nuts and washers, for what they cost. it saves a lot of searching around. The nut on the end of the black handwheel is m8 I think.

Marcos I have just finished your perfect step by step guide, took me just over two hours and the saw runs like new! I owe you big time. Now you've got me intrigued at upgrading the rip fence!

I will do some pics but it will be a slowish one over the next couple of weeks. Need to order the steel tomorrow, a few bits and bobs of tooling. Might splash out on some paint too.

I decided to do this before getting the saw (ie look for a base for a saw project), and got the fence from on here. To be fair the standard arrangement on the 618 looks reasonable. I only need to fix the support rails and box section to the top.

The principle is the biesmeyer fence system which you can see online- the ready made version is very super cool tools or something like that. There is a step by step on YouTube by askwoodman (user). A cheaper version can be made from off the shelf steel and a toggle clamp.

The Bear":z2omnwev said:
This is what I'd do, basically because this is how it's supposed to attach. I'd just bolt all the way through the infill, that's how mines done (minus the infill). The box is tapped and bolted on because you obviously can't get a nut on in the middle of it. No idea about the aluminium strength, as you know the fence is heavy steal and so are the biesmeyer rails which give it so much solidity.

Mark

I have made one step forward and half a step back so far. I did get as far as testing the fence out but found some bits like the measuring glass stick up above my table surface as is it now.

I have tried more or less what you suggested, but my whole assembly is a bit high. The issue I have is that the lip prevents me putting the holes much lower than they are. 7mm would make it much better, can probably squeeze 4mm lower. I also don't like the infill much, although the issue I am guessing is that the hole is a fraction off straight.

I think that I will cut the infill off. I don't want to fix the infill to the saw and the rails to the infill, and that way seems the easiest other than using multiple angles as I first thought of.

What should I use to cut cast aluminium alloy- it is about 3/8" at a guess, and 20" long. I was thinking a hacksaw and then tidy up with a 60 grit disk on the die grinder. I have never done any cutting on the angle grinder but do have one and a cutting disk if necessary.

I'm interested in fitting the Biesemeyer style fence on an Axi TS-250 and it seems that the Kity has a similar, stepped front edge to the table. My idea was to get a steel bar milled to the correct depth for an infill and have it welded to the back of the angle iron, thus reducing the potential for movement in the whole assembly. I also felt that this would mean that the weight of the Bies rails would be supported by the lip across the whole width of the table, rather than just a couple of bolts.
BTW, there was a Delta fence sold for $45 on eBay a few days ago. My finger was hovering over the "bid" button in the closing secs, but I was dithering because I wasn't sure that we can still get imperial sized tubing here and was afraid that 50mm wouldn't work.

Hi rspsteve Richie here,
Do you still have the sliding carriage for the KITY 618 for sale ?
If you do can you let me know.
Richie.

Hi all, first post, i have been drawn here by this thread, which is right on topic for me having just bought this saw, but hoping to get stuck into the rest of the forum now...

So, I just got this saw and it had the jammy rise/fall issue, which I fixed by taking it all apart and cleaning out the lead screw as mentioned, worked a treat. However, now I can't wind the blade down below the bed. I started with a 250mm blade, which wouldnt go anywhere near fully down, so I swapped to a 200 and the lowest I can go is about 10/15mm. Surely I should be able to get it all the way down - so where might I have reassembled incorrectly?

I suspect that it may be the vertical cog, which seemed to be sitting higher than before disassembly, but i didnt take any pictures so I couldnt really tell. Also there is a loose nut and washer at the top of the lead screw which seemed to do its own thing, could that be a culprit?

My other question was, the crank handle for the rise and fall has enough forward/back play in it that when it sits further back the cogs are disengaged, which can make winding it annoying and i think is probably wearing the gears down when they arent engaged as they grind on each other. Its all bolted up tight, and the handle is sitting tight up on the pin, the play seems to be in the rod/bearing.

Any advice much appreciated, and i think ill give it the much needed fence upgrade next time I have some spare cash so ill be back to see how you guys did that...

Welcome to the forum.

something isnt quite right there- i have a 260 or 270mm blade in i think, and it sits proud by 25mm. I cant remember if his is correct I dont use the saw that much. A 200mm blade should sit below the table, I would have thought. I would need to have a look through the exploded parts diagram, but there shouldnt be that much that can be assembled wrongly. If you need a copy of the manual, I have it at work, but am not in the office until Friday.

I would guess that you have something broken in your crank handle. Probably a missing grub screw in the gear or a roll pin- there shouldnt be any real play. I am guessing, but if the cog was on the handle shaft firmly, the whole assembly couldnt move. Perhaps there is another item that stops it, but either way, I doubt that it is an expensive or unobtainable part. I have just had a look at mine, but you cant see much from the outside. My orange wheel has a couple of mm of play in it, but the black rise and fall has none. I remember from the disassembly, to get the cog out of the leadscrew end, it had to disengage the teeth and fit through a hole. there wasnt much clearance. the orange wheel has to engage in the teeth in the angle plate that is bolted to the cabinet. I wonder whether the cog is coming off your shaft or sliding along it, because i think it would be very difficult for the whole assembly to slip out of where it started- you would feel the same effect in the handle- ie it would feel disengaged.

have a look at this too http://lumberjocks.com/topics/59269

just a thought- i wonder whether the 2 issues are related- at the bottom of the adjustment, there is a bit more resistance, and so the handle turns but nothing happens? Is the handle turning at the lowest height- mine hits resistance and wont turn any more?

As I suspected on the height. I guess I'll be opening her up again... it's not too mechanically complicated in there, I'm sure if I try and follow the logic of it I'll see what's up with the height limit on mine.

As for the handle and crank, the cog is firmly on the rod and the handle firmly bolted on, it's the rod itself which has about 5mm of play back out of its bearing housing thing, enough to disengage and then handle spins freely. See image for part.

It seems the roll pin thing going is a fairly common issue but I can't see where that would be in relation to my part? I'm thinking just to replace tha part entirely if possible. Any advice where to look for these sortsa things?

Thanks for your help!

i cant see an image. I cant recall on mine exactly what is there, but there is definitely something stopping it coming forwards.

Dont plan on replacing anything if you can avoid it- the parts are scarce and £££. NMA agencies are the distributor and may still have some bits.

Hi again, if you could confirm what size blade and clearance you have thatd be grand because I just cant see how it would be differently assembled to get below zero on anything bigger than 200. Looking at it now it is almost under with a 200 though, i think i must have been remembering with the bigger blade. It sort of looks like if you wanted a shallow cut youd have to use a smaller blade, and for a bigger cut bigger blades.

thanks again

Thread resurrection. Tried to disassemble my Kity 618 this morning because the raise/lower mechanism was stuck. Failed at step one because the 3mm solid pin which the black hand wheel connects onto was stuck. I sprayed it with WD40, and while I had the can in my hand I sprayed the shaft and cogs too. After a lengthy cup of coffee whilst the oil did its work I found that the mechanism was freed up. Disassembly avoided. If it jams again I’ll probably cut off and drill out the pin

Latest posts

Back