Table Saw - made in Taiwan / Germany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whilst I understand that many of us are cash rich and time poor, and so there is value in a new machine. Moreover, there will be a warranty!

But, I would always endorse secondhand! These are simple machines, with not a great deal to go wrong; the amount of fettling required of a good secondhand machine can be less than the setup of a new machine.

Of course, if you’re going for top shelf stuff, the saw will be set up by a technician, but that’s another order of magnitude!

There’s loads of saws out there! And do we need another saw in the world?… So picking a lemon needn’t be an issue; my Sedgwick cost me £1500, roughly 1/3 of its cost new. It’s current spec, and was put to work straight away, with only the basic set up checks which you would expect, having moved a machine.
This is a good point - but states my position quite well. Cash - (well, not "rich" but definitely have more if it than I do time) so it's the chance to save hassle of finding something (hours of trawling eBay) and setting it up correctly. I just want something that I can get to work on when I need it.

[edit] I do also appreciate the 'does the world need another tablesaw' thought - better for the environment etc to extend the life of something already made rather than paying for something else to be made from scratch!

This is a good point - but states my position quite well. Cash - (well, not "rich" but definitely have more if it than I do time) so it's the chance to save hassle of finding something (hours of trawling eBay) and setting it up correctly. I just want something that I can get to work on when I need it.

[edit] I do also appreciate the 'does the world need another tablesaw' thought - better for the environment etc to extend the life of something already made rather than paying for something else to be made from scratch!
Well to put that in context, my saw was one of a selection of not-very-old Sedgwicks; I chose the one nearest to me, and had it collected; it only required the usual set up, just as you would do with a new saw (in some cases less, because all the basic assembly was done) ie fitting fences, blade etc, levelling, and checking/adjusting alignment of blade and fence. Plug it in and go!

Not all second hand bargains are projects!

Taiwan can certainly produce good quality products. For me though, there’s always the question of whether I need a new item, or will a good new item be a better choice; possibly better for the planet, possibly a better spec item for my money (it’s not always a matter of saving money per se), and sometimes it has been a matter of availability when there have been supply chain issues.

I apply this to all my expensive interests, be it bespoke bikes, high-end hifi, wood working… it’s all a mixture of new and secondhand, and I don’t regret any of the second hand purchases. But a few of the new ones, I do!

Latest posts

Back