table saw fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamboat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I would like to get your comments and opinions.
I have a 10” SIP saw and have been struggling with the fence for years which is never square despite spending hours trying re-adjusting it, it is sometimes more out than others despite cleaning and waxing the ends. As a result of my frustrations I have been looking for an aftermarket fence, one that I can be confident in so I can get on with the job of cabinetmaking. I recently stumbled across the Incra TS LS table saw fence system which looks amazing and would fix all my table saw problems but do people think this is over kill considering as it is probably a bit less than half the cost of the saw and i could think of a lot of other things to spend the money on. I am a hobbyist who occasionally sell work so I don’t expect to make perfect cuts every time but I have been known to spend the best part of a day getting snug joints.
Thanks in advance

Here is a link to a post where the fence has been upgraded, Maybe you can PM Skyhigh_Arb and ask about the fence.

Cheers

Dave

Steamboat
There is a very good home-made fence in the archives of FIne Woodworking. It uses rectangular section steel, a bit of angle airon and a toggle clamp. It's excellent andI made it up for the first TS I owned. The author's name is Worth Barton. I forget the issue number, but you can search.

FWW do a free trial, IIRC.

HTH
Steve

Steve Maskery":etginys2 said:
Steamboat
There is a very good home-made fence in the archives of FIne Woodworking. It uses rectangular section steel, a bit of angle airon and a toggle clamp. It's excellent andI made it up for the first TS I owned. The author's name is Worth Barton. I forget the issue number, but you can search.

HTH
Steve

Hi Steve

They do a trial, but what they don't tell you before you subscribe is that you have to wait for a letter delivered by hand before you can log into the site, " Which i am still waiting for " and that you will have to wait for upto 6 weeks before any issues are sent out to you.

I e-mailed them last week about all this and they have not even got back to me yet about it. My subsription will be cancelled if i don't hear by Wednesday.

I can't see why they have to physically send out letters before you can log in, I thought we were past that stage with E-mail. I was like you just have just done for steamboat Recomended the FWW by someone from the forum, it does look a good magazine but i think they need to get their act together or they will start losing customers.

Cheers

Dave

I didn't know that. It does sound rather less than efficient.
I have much of the FWW collection in paper, from about No 65 (where is Hash on a Mac?) but I stopped subscribing a few years ago. I have one too many articles called "5 ways to make a drawer".

The article is also in one of the FWW books, and it was available for preview on the net, but alas I can't remember which book.

It's probably an age thing.

S

I have heard several people say that their fence does not line up with the blades on their sip table saws.

I used to have the 10" saw and now have the 12" and have never experienced these problems with the fence at all.

Rog

I have had problems Rog but have solved it the old fashioned way. As an apprentice in an aircraft company our big TS had seen better days. It had a cast iron 'short fence' that ran on a round steel bar at the front of the machine.
The hole in the fence that ran along the bar was worn. If you move the fence in towards the blade the far end of the fence 'trailed' behind the front end. If you move the fence away from the blade the timber would jam
So we always moved the fence towards the blade.
Same problem with my SIP, same solution. I simply set the fence to be accurate when moved towards the blade.

Roy.

Hi Roy,

I hadnt really thought about it but I always take the fence wider and then bring back to the desired position as a force of habit - hence why I havnt had any problems then I assume.

Rog

Mine drove me mad at first Rog, now I've also got a short sub fence attached via the slots in the fence so that the sub fence can be slid back and forth depending on need.

Roy.

Yes it’s the 1332 with a sliding table, and yes I also move the fence towards the blade rather than away from it, but what I really want to know about is the incra system over kill, the pros obviously get away with not shelling out for it so are standard fences accurate enough?

thanks for your comments

Morning Steamboat,

I noticed my name was mentioned so thought I would drop a quick msg, here is the link to my fence upgrade. I also have some completed photos now since writing that. Any questions drop me a msg.

Will

It was me Skyhigh_Arb I mentioned your upgrade and left a Link to it as well, If i was out of order for posting the link then i am sorry.

I won't be posting anymore links to other peoples posts anywhere on the forum.

Cheers

Dave

Isn't the real question to be answered " WHY IS THE FENCE INACCURATE".

Is some part worn, parts missing, incorrect assembly ( if any) and then to see if there is a way to repair it so that it works to spec.

I fully accept that the OP is frustrated with it but defining the core problem will generate some alternatives and probably be cheaper to solve.

Alan

Hi Dave,

No problem please feel free to plug my fence I am rather proud of it to be honest. Sorry if I offended you.

Beech1948, you are very much on the ball with your comment and cannot argue with you over it. Why it is inaccurate is a very good question and most definitely agree if anything can be done to fix it then this would be the best option.

I don't link the idea of waste and unfortunately we have become a very wasteful society where by not many people fix things and instead just replace them. The only reason I changed mine apart from liking T square fences is that the original was beyond ever becoming half accurate.

Maybe you could post some photos steamboat of your problem as someone on here may see the issue and be able to advise on how to rectify the inaccuracy.

Thanks Will

Hi Will

No worries you have not offended me in any way m8 :) , and the part about me not posting links to other peoples posts again was in no way aimed at you. What i am a irked about is that the link i posted for the guy to try help him out has disapeared. I just don't see the point in posting a link to other peoples posts to try and help out, and then have them deleted for some unknown reason.

Cheers

Dave

I have a FWW sub but can't find Worth Barton, Barton Fence or Worth Fence

tisdai":2yequfsc said:
Steve Maskery":2yequfsc said:
Steamboat

HTH
Steve

Hi Steve

They do a trial, but what they don't tell you before you subscribe is that you have to wait for a letter delivered by hand before you can log into the site, " Which i am still waiting for " and that you will have to wait for upto 6 weeks before any issues are sent out to you.

I e-mailed them last week about all this and they have not even got back to me yet about it. My subsription will be cancelled if i don't hear by Wednesday.

I can't see why they have to physically send out letters before you can log in, I thought we were past that stage with E-mail. I was like you just have just done for steamboat Recomended the FWW by someone from the forum, it does look a good magazine but i think they need to get their act together or they will start losing customers.

Cheers

Dave

I too have an online FWW subscription and although I found reference in the FWW catalogue, I couldn't find the article. I emailed FWW and they sent me a copy of the article along with this reply:

"Attached is a copy for your reference. I couldn't find it online either. Sometimes we were unable to reproduce certain articles online due to rights issues. I'll check to see if this is one of them. I did find it on our DVD archive (http://www.tauntonstore.com/2010-fine-w ... 11312.html) which is a faithful reproduction of every single issue. Gina, FineWoodworking.com"

Latest posts

Back