Table saw book or dvd?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone recommend a book or DVD which covers the basics of table saw use and adjustments for a complete newbie?

Many thanks.

+1. Covers all you'll need to work confidently, clearly explained and demonstrated. This novice is learning lots of useful practices and clever tips, safely.

Paul, Pebbles, thank you both very much indeed. It's nice to be thought of so highly.

I've just come back from couple of days away in Whitby. Excellent beer and fantastic fish & chips. That was my wages for helping my mate Stu to set up his new tablesaw. He is moving from just round the corner from me to Whitby :(.

However, that meant we had a couple of days to do Man Stuff, principal of which was to set up his saw. It was an ex-demonstrator model. I fear it is far too big for his modest new log cabin, but that's his problem. We set the saw from scratch. and it needed it! I really hope that they didn't use it in anger when demonstrating. In fairness, there wasn't a speck of sawdust on or in it, so maybe it had simply been assembled for display, but the nuts weren't tight, the scoring blade was more than a kerf away from where it should have been and the blade itself was not parallel with anything.

One thing that struck me was the fence. It is an ali extrusion, and whislt it does clamp very firmly, it's not always in exactly the same place. In investigation, we could see that it relies of the accuracy of the extrusions mating. Mine is a 3-point fixing and cannot be anything other than square. It reminded me of Paul's post:

post897013.html#p897013

Paul has omitted the other two points and I guess it is not so much of an issue on such a small saw, but I would always recommend a 3-point fixing.

Anyway, we got it sorted and now it sings like a canary.

The only thing I regret is accidentally leaving two bars of chocolate in his fridge.

The Table Saw Book by Kelly Mehler.

This came recommended by others on the forum. I have one for sale if you are interested £5 inc. postage. PM me if you are interested.

Highly recommend the Workshop Essentials DVD. Get the complete series. Safety, technique, jigs there is a great deal of learning to be had from these DVDs.

Back