Table mad!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I got back from our house hunting trip on 14 July. SInce then I have been sorting out the house for the move to Canada and trying to use up my timber stocks since I can't take sawn timber with me. The movers come in on Monday so my time is up.....

Pics aren't great - it was dark when I took them but I haven't got time to reshoot tomorrow so I'll probably take more in the new place

Turns out that I've made a few tables - there's a bit more space to fill in the new house. Its been quite a lot of fun but I've also been a bit disappointed that I've had to make things a bit more quickly than I would like so the designs are possibly plainer than I would prefer. There's another coffee table (in oak and english walnut) in the workshop but its too wet to go out there. As usual comments are welcome.

6 seat kitchen table in olive ash
Oliveashkitchentable-full;init:.JPG

kitchentable2-full;init:.JPG

Hall table in ripple sycamore
Halltable2-full;init:.JPG

Halltableside-full;init:.JPG

Halltable-full;init:.JPG

Halltabletopdetail2-full;init:.JPG

Halltabletopdetail-full;init:.JPG

End/ side tables in ripple sycamore, sycamore and english walnut

endtablesinsycamore-full;init:.JPG

endtables-full;init:.JPG

DSCF0021-full;init:.JPG

edgedetailsyctable-full;init:.JPG

Coffee table in english walnut and ripple sycamore

coffeetable2-full;init:.jpg

coffeetableinwalnutandsycamore-full;init:.JPG

I've also made two desks in maple and maple veneered MDF. The tops are not easy to get to but the base cabinets of one are here (they are identical desks ie slab top over two cabinets - functional more than anything)

deskcabinets-full;init:.JPG

Cheers

Tim

They look very well designed to me, looks like you had enough time to do a good job.

Johnny B

Excellent work,as always - particularly like the figuring on the rippled sycamore :D

tim":338p1f2n said:
Turns out that I've made a few tables

Oh come on,how did you not notice... :lol:

Andrew

Very nice pieces Tim and the speed in which you completed them is a testament to your craftsmanship.

Wow! Busy indeed!
Some lovely tables there, Tim. I'm sure they'll look great in your new home.
Best regards
Philly :D

Thanks for the comments.

This is the last one. A low coffee table in oak and english walnut

walnutandoakcoffeetable3Large-full;init:.JPG

walnutandoakcoffeetable2-full;init:.JPG

walnutandoakcoffeetable-full;init:.JPG

Cheers

Tim

Great pieces Tim, the speed and efficiency with which you convert raw materials to desirable products is a measure of your craftsmanship.

Good luck with the move and I hope you have enough control of the movers to ensure that it all arrives in the condition it left the UK.

If that little lot is going to be the "I did these whilst awaiting the removers" talking point with you new neighbors then you are going to be busy getting the new shop sorted and in use ready for when they deem you worthy of practicing your trade.

Some lovely looking work there Tim - more workmanship to aspire to!
Particularly like the coffee table with it's mix of oak and walnut.

Malc :D

These look great! I'm going to be making a coffee table out of oak soon, so has given me a different look on the design side, thanks! :)

Great work, Tim. Really like that last coffee table. The ripple sycamore and English walnut look beautiful too. :)

Tim,

You under-rate your work! Certainly none of it looks like anything you just threw together in a weekend. Every piece has good, clean contemporary lines and they all look silky-smooth to the touch.

I hope when you say, "Comments Welcome," you mean you are open to constructive criticism of sorts. It has come up on forums I've frequented (and left due to complete and utter boredom), and not really ever in a good way, but I figured I'd give it another try. For a bit more background on my views of Constructive Criticism, I've written about it here...

http://greystonegreen.blogspot.com/2008/05/reaching-critical-masses.html

My only suggestion for future tables might be in reference to the sycamore/walnut coffee table.

The joins for the three-board top are pretty distinctive - not sure if that is intentional or not. If it was, then mission accomplished!

If not, then I would suggest it has to do with the grain direction of the boards. Many timbers, like plush carpet flooring, have a light sheen when viewed from one angle and a darker sheen when viewed from the opposite angle. So when your three-board top has the outside boards laid out one way and the middle board laid out the opposite way, you see the dark sheen for two and the light sheen for one at the same time.

If you were to reverse the middle board, you would see the dark sheen for all three at the same time and the light sheen for all three at the same time and the join lines would be less visible.

When I first started with woodworking, I was told to reverse the grain on joined boards to reduce or prevent cupping. But the consensus from the people I consider to be great experienced woodworkers of our time (David Marks, Frank Klausz, Chris Schwarz) is to lay the boards out in whatever way looks best and works best (i.e. if you're going to hand plane your top, you want the grain for each board going in the same direction).

I'm amazed at how quickly you put those tables out! It's an interesting way to smuggle the timber to the new place, I'll give you that much!

Cheers,

Very nice, I particularly like the last one.

if you have stock left, no time, and shipping cost is worth it (or covered anyway), you could build some loosely assembled variations on the Pinch Twig bench...

Latest posts

Back