T Hinges and architrave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good ideas about how to accommodated T hinges and architrave? May be there is a proper way that I haven't learnt yet.

The common ways seem to be start and stop the architrave, but that looks not so good especially when the T part of the hinge is not as wide as the architrave. Or to cut the hinge shape either completely or partially through the architrave.

Any nice examples / suggestions much appreciated!

From the buildings i have worked in i think the norm is to take a check out the back of the architrave just enough to take the hinge if the architrave is not hitting the barrel of the hinge

T hinges and architraves are not really compatible (stylistically) but if you are going to do it you have 2 simple options: house the hinge plate under the architrave either by cutting out the back of the architrave, or by cutting a housing in the door lining/frame (in which case you would have the door set back into the rebate by the thickness of the hinge).

another option is to bye some cranked tee hinges and plant the hinge on the outside of the architrave.

woodbutcher
(richard)

Back