Sywell 2007

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Just back from this years Sywell Show - lots of people from all over the place - not just local.

Charnwood had a good range of refurbished kit with warranty. Usual Trend routing demonstration, Wellingborough Woodturning Club demonstrating, SIP, Tormek etc etc.

A few nice large pieces of wood available in their wood section at good prices.

10% off everything that isn't on special offer and they are holding the offers open for Monday as well - so I'll be popping over then for another look when the place isn't heaving.

Best bargain I thought was the offer of 3D Drill bits, any size at £2.99 or two for a fiver. I grabbed a couple.

Full details plus the special offers can be seen on their website (and no - I'm not on commission unfortunately)

http://www.woodworkingcentre.com

It was very expensive there IMO. I bought a brand new marples split proof chisel off the car boot sale out the back for a fiver, on the shelf inside the shop they were £25. Regards Andy.

I just got back from Sywell, i cant believe i walked away without buying a leigh jig, i was practically drooling over it , has anybody got one? are they really THAT good? this was the first time i'd seen one in the flesh and in use.
brought a nice tenon saw off the boot sale, needs a nice new handle tho :D

It was only on for Saturday Gill, sorry to have missed you :(

I like the idea of the smaller local shows, you get more chance to natter with the stall holders and in the past I've come away from Sywell with some good bargains. I wasn't so impressed this year though, there seemed to be an increase in the emphasis on turning, and there were more tool collectors/traders running stands - at least that was the way it seemed to me. On the up side though, there was some very interesting heavy cast iron machinery for sale, I just wish I had room (and floor strength) for the 12" planer.

Dennis

Rknott2007":1ymgc65h said:
Leigh jig .. .has anybody got one? are they really THAT good?

Yes and no, IMHO. I had one but sold it.

There is no doubt that it is a splendid, well=made, accurate piece of kit.

But.

How often are you going to use it? If you use it regularly, it will save you a lot of time and do production dovetails that look good, much better than the regular pins-the-same-as-tails that you get with the lower end jigs.

If, however, you use it once or twice a year, you might find, as I did, that I had to read the manual every single time, do test cuts, get to know which face has to be out, which way round is the comb, etc., etc., etc.

By the time I'd finished, and made a mistake or two along the way because I was always learning, I came to the conclusion that I would have been quicker doing them by hand, and it's a lot quieter, too. For one-offs on a casual basis it seems that the jig is not the best way.

Dovetails are not easy, but they are not too difficult to learn. You need a good dovetail saw (I use a Japanese one, which I love) and some boards on which to practise. Spend a Sunday just doing it. The first one will be rubbish, the second better, and by the time you go in for your tea, you'll be pleased with what you have. Yes there is a learning curve, but it is an enjoyable one, and there is with the Leigh jig as well.

I rarely have to cut dovetails, but when I do I usually do them on the bandsaw (for batches) or by hand for the finer touch.

So yes, they are a good as they look. For the right situation.

HTH
Steve

Agree 100% with wot Steve says. I bought one, sold it for the same reasons. It's such a nice bit of kit though I couldn't resist when the opportunity arose to buy it back again :roll: :oops:

Ike

Back