Sycamore & Walnut Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syntec4

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Finished something else today. I had a visit to John Boddys whilst working up that way last week. I called in 'just for a look' and spent about 3 hours sorting through stacks of fantastic wood. I left about £150 worse off :oops:

Anyway, I bought some Sycamore, Walnut, Spalted Beech, Cherry, Ash and Pearwood.

I made this box as a present for my Auntie who is visiting this weekend.
2006_0528_193438_JPG.jpg

I used some of the Walnut for the Front/Back and the Sycamore for the sides. The top is made from the Spalted Beech. The Tray is made from Sycamore and Walnut for the Base. The hinges are the Walnut again with a 6mm brass rod for the pin.

My Dovetails are getting tighter and quicker.
I used 'White Polish' for the finish. I think its bbasicallylight French Polish. It dries very fast! Good fun though and I like the way you can 'build up' the finish to whatever shine you like. (thats probably not the right way to explain it :oops: )

The sizes are 12"W 8"D 4"H

Lots of feedback would be most welcome. This was project #7.

Thanks all.
Lee.
More Pictures here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lee_harrison944/Sycamore Box/index.htm

Very nice, Lee =D> and I bet your auntie loves it.

Some feedback, for what it's worth. I love the three woods you have used and I really like your hinges - but not all together. I think in this case less would have been more. If you had used the walnut and sycamore, or the walnut and spalted beech, and used a simpler, say, drop-in lid, I think it would have looked even better. But that's just my view and is not meant to detract from a very nice job.

Keep up the good work :wink:

Paul

I agree with Paul - the sycamore and walnut look great together (nice dovetails,great contrast) but two timbers would have been enough.
Again,that it personal opinion,and not meant to detract from what is undoubtedly a nice piece of work.

The most important point is do you like it ? And did you enjoy making it?

So congratulations on another excellent project - keep them coming!

Andrew

PowerTool":1fzzxac4 said:
The most important point is do you like it ? And did you enjoy making it?

Andrew

Erm, Honestly No, I dont like it much. :oops: I also think its a bit 'fussy'. Design is not my strongest point. I didn't have a plan as such, just 'sketch' in my head. I shouldn't say I dont like it as it's a present, but what the hell.

However, I did like making it very much and I do think my standard is getting a bit better. I also think the hinges work well, although again I would alter the design for next time - but I will make some more.

I think for my next project I will copy somebody else's design in terms of wood selection and concerntrate on the consruction elements. Hopefuly with a few more projects under my belt I will start to get a feel for what will work and what won't before I start creating sawdust.

Thanks for the feedback, It's exactly what I need to improve.

Cheers
lee.

Lee, it's a very striking piece, and I do like the hinges and the finish _ I'm a sucker for shellac. I can only agree that there's maybe a trifle too much going on, but I don't think it's such an issue on a box as it would be on a piece of furniture - boxes are a licence to have fun, I reckon :wink: One thing I would suggest though; as you're taking the trouble to do hand cut dovetails, try making them look less like jig cut ones (change the ratio of tail size to pin size) so you get the benefit of all your hard work. :) Perishing good for only your seventh project though. =D>

Cheers, Alf

No I don't think it's over fussy. It's a fun piece, fun to look at, and very interesting compaired to most boxes, and as allready said the hinge idea is great. Can we see a closer pic of the hinges?

I like it very much indeed :) . I'd have prefered to see the lip of the lid meet the sycamore sides perfectly, but that's a minor design quibble. I think you can afford to be extravagant with a hand-made box, and this box is extravagant without being gaudy.

Gill

Very nice box and only the seventh project, I'm impressed.

I agree with Gill regarding the lid, I think it would have set the top off nicely.

Agree with Alf's comments re dovetails and concur with others on the mixture of timbers, generally IMO two timbers work well together, provided you select them with care, whislt three tend to look a little 'fussy' - good piece tho' - Rob

Lee,
well done for making your own hinges. How did you do them?

I'd would prefer to not to see the screws though. A tapered plug in a contrasting wood perhaps? Or screwed from underneath the lid?

Andy

Lee Interesting box and timbers. Some of my favorites there.

Can I suggest that you need to avoid such regular shapes when you use such busy timbers, the square lid would look better if it was off square or you had used a natural feature to form a handle.

Nice work Lee.

Your knocking these projects out at quite a rate, you after Philly's record :lol:

Will have to get over there one day.

Matt.

Matt1245":3a7k1j9b said:
Nice work Lee.

Your knocking these projects out at quite a rate, you after Philly's record :lol:

Will have to get over there one day.

Matt.

Whats the record.. Maybe :twisted:

Hey Matt you're always welcome to come and visit. You just have to teach me something and supply the biscuits :D
Cheers
Lee.

You just have to teach me something and supply the biscuits

Don't know about teaching you something, think it will be the other way round :lol: I'm biscuit rich tho.
:D
Matt.

Nice work, Lee.

I actually like the hinges, like Alf said on furniture it may have been too much but here I do like them. I too love shellac. I also am a sucker for spalted woods.

I think the hinges [which look really well done] say "what's inside me is important." I like that.

Thanks for showing it. Mike

Very nice

im going to have a go at a dovetail box at collage with my new LN Dovetail Saw

Ive a done couple of projects involving handcut dovetails before but after watching the Rob Cosman DVD's i bought with my saw i reckon ill get better results :x

and again, very nice

Back