Sycamore wall hanging.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I'm looking for a new lathe but the old one is still going :lol: This is a design I came up with when I was ill the other week and couldn't do much else but sit around. Its Sycamore 9" wide and 30" tall, held together with 12mm Ash dowel painted gold.The bowl/concave parts are also sprayed gold. The black bits are carved and coloured with some black spirit stain(they are all the same shade, the lighting in my photo tent is making the middle one look lighter). The back and sides are textured.

smallwh.jpg
wallhanging006.jpg
wallhanging007.jpg

Comments/critiques welcomed

JT

Slow down Johnny. Also ask yourself why you need a new lathe if you can turn things like this on the one you have :lol:

I don't know which is more impressive, your imagination or your rapidly developing skill level

pete

FAB, FAB, FAB.

I love this Johnny, Horizontal or vertical on a wall or just self standing, would be stunning in any room.

I love the texturing, and the perfect bowl sections.

The Gold and black really go well with the dirty sycamore grain.

Well done

Loz

Thanks Pete and Loz 8)

Bodrighy":1rh55ms8 said:
..... Also ask yourself why you need a new lathe if you can turn things like this on the one you have :lol:......

:lol: :lol: Because it could have been bigger :lol:

JT

johnny.t.":7u57vdkl said:
Thanks Pete and Loz 8)

Bodrighy":7u57vdkl said:
..... Also ask yourself why you need a new lathe if you can turn things like this on the one you have :lol:......

:lol: :lol: Because it could have been bigger :lol:

JT

Get your subterranean workshop finished first then you will know just how big you can go. Our pro at the club got one custom built form £3.000 and it turns up to 6' diameter, for long spindles he has two Record lathes, uses the headstock on on end and the tailstock on the other...gives him a 7' reach for long things. Custom made may be the way to go?

Pete

JT wrote
the lighting in my photo tent is making the middle one look lighter).
How big is the tent.A two man :lol:
Looks very very nice.
Just one point it might be the piccy but the middle one looks slightly out of true.Looks twisted :?:

Bodrighy":1tvl7p2d said:
Get your subterranean workshop finished first then you will know just how big you can go.

My impatient tendancies won't let me wait that long :lol: I really must get on with the workshop though,I've even already got the concrete blocks to sort out the entrance there.

Paul, thanks 8) There is no twist in it every thing is true, I made a jig to drill the holes for the dowels and used spacers for gleing up correctly. Its probably that I'm so close to it with the camera that theres a bit of distortion in the pic.

JT

I like the design. But, personally gold doesn't do it for me. Otherwise it's a winner. I won't steal the idea, promise! ;)

Johnny, this design is created by a creative mind, something I can appreciate !!!
The only thing I can say, it's just wonderful !!
Ad

johnny, you must have a brain like an octopus, it's reaching in so many directions at the same time it's a job to keep up.

I can't tell whether your work is precis with rustic appealing enhancements or rustic with precis embellishments, whatever, it works, and works well.

Just a thought Johnny. :idea:
What if you just had one dowel in the middle so you could rotate each panel to have it shown various ways,if you see what i mean :?

Thanks the close up Johnny, The back texturing is stunning.

But i'm knocking a point off for the borders around the front coloured panels, Are these flush or recessed ? they look a bit wobbly on the close up.

Routed out ( the straight ones ), and turned out the round ones, would look lovely before colouring black, then would be very crisp and true, and be more of a border.

I;m sorry but on the close up they look like felt tip lines.

Just from what I can see, and you know what photos are like !

The buyer will be proving what's important !!!

Regs

Laurence

Back