Sycamore stemmed bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Heres my latest turning based from here, the first on the right.

I made a couple of alterations, including a longer stem to bring it into 3rds.

It stands 10" tall and 6 1/4" wide, made from 3 pieces of wood. A piece of blue vernier was used to hide the glue line of the base. Finished with wax and buffed on the lathe.

Stemmed_Bowl.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.............

Hi Mark
Had a few looks at your pic before replying. I admire your skills in making this and its certainly different, just getting me head around a bowl being that far off the surface its stood on 8) . It would look nice on the plinth next to my fire (er indoors keeps nattering for something to put next to the fire) but up on a shelf I`d be worried of it falling over. I do like the look of it though :lol: Hope that makes sense :?
Steve

I do like that stem !

Lose the bowl and you would have a very nice candlestick !

:D

Hi

Gasmansteve
It's actually very stable. I've been wondering about getting a liner for it so that I could put a pot plant in it.

Loz
I am very pleased with how the stem cam out and when I'd finished it and was wait for the wax to dry I had the thought. I had thought of making a pair the flank the bowl but knowing my past record at copy turning I'd have two different stick :cry:

Mark..........

That's very unusual piece. I like the shape and the little detail of the blue veneer on the stem. It would look great with a plant in it - so do try and find a liner for it.

Not sure I'd called it a bowl on a stem - more like an enormous goblet - or maybe a chalice?

tekno.mage

Back