Sycamore bowl.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
I paid a trip to the local woodyard yesterday for some overpriced timber :lol: I came away with a 8' x 2' x 2" sycamore board for £40. I wanted some plain sycamore to do a spot of carving and colouring on but when I turned a piece it was all spalted and nice looking :( :lol: So the carver went away.....

13" wide,the bowl part is painted gold and the finish is danish oil.

gold.jpg

gold2.jpg

Comments/critiques welcome.

JT

Clean and Crisp Johnny,

I like.

40 quid sound ideal for slab that size, Tried the bowl from a board yet ? - Seems worth trying with a small part of that plank, if you have the bandsaw up to the cutting.

yep, ticks all the boxes for me mate, would like to see underneath also, as nick arnull does bowls like this, and i love his work.

Thanks for all the replies :D They are very much appreciated.

Paul, here you go,the rim is turned down after the line in keeping with the overall smooth appearance.

Steve,sorry mate I can't take a pic of the underside as I haven't got this anymore(I had took the side view posted above yesterday with the other pics before it went) Its gone to SWMBOs best mate for a birthday present. The bottom was finished by reversing and smoothing out the raised ring i left for turning into a rounded low ring just to give a tiny bit of elevation to allow the round shape to sit above the surface it stands on.

cheers JT

johnny.t.":1wmrt2pe said:
....... Its gone to SWMBOs best mate for a birthday present. .....

Very clean, neat and well finished design; earned maximum brownie points with those that matter into the bargain, can't get much better.

Chas, you can never earn enough 'brownie' points :lol:

Paul,yes I suppose it does look deeper,the bowl was cut as deep as I could go without making the bottom stupidly thin.

Mike, thanks 8)

JT

CHJ":1xbmxbox said:
johnny.t.":1xbmxbox said:
....... Its gone to SWMBOs best mate for a birthday present. .....

Very clean, neat and well finished design; earned maximum brownie points with those that matter into the bargain, can't get much better.

assuming swimbo knows ;) - if she doesnt and finds out giving her best mate pressies on the sly is not going to be a matter for comendation and you will be sleeping in the workshop for some time to come :lol:

johnny.t.":8yidscqs said:
big soft moose":8yidscqs said:
assuming swimbo knows ;)

She does BSM :lol: although SWMBOs mate is an overpaid council high flier in charge of Norwich's trees so she does sometimes 'give me wood' :shock: :lol:

JT

just so she doesnt come round and polish your wood ;)

and by the way council staff earn every penny.....

BSM (hosted by a council PRoW team)

Back