• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

SWMBO ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I know what it stands for but just out of interest how do you all pronounce it ? I put an I in and call it swimbo.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
+1 for "Schwimbo".

BTW, the first time I heard this term (without the I) was watching "Rumpole of the Bailey" some years back. I'm not sure if the author, John Mortimer, was the inventor of the term or if it comes from something much earlier.

(The I stands of course for Immediately and was added much later I think).

With or without the I, it does do such a GOOD job of describing our respective "happy lots" doesn't it?

;-)

AES

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that it ever actually had an 'I; in it. I just meant I put one in when pronouncing it. Couldn't get my tongue round Swm :)

Finial

Established Member
Reaction score
BTW, the first time I heard this term (without the I) was watching "Rumpole of the Bailey" some years back. I'm not sure if the author, John Mortimer, was the inventor of the term or if it comes from something much earlier.

'She', in the novel of that name by H Rider Haggard, had to be obeyed, or else.

Terry

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Finial. I read "King Solomn's Mines" a while back but don't remember "She". Pwerhaps I should try it.

AES

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Grahamshed":2e0gmskp said:
I know what it stands for but just out of interest how do you all pronounce it ? I put an I in and call it swimbo.
Same here...'i' for 'immediately' - Rob

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Grahamshed":8lvnlqj9 said:
I wasn't aware that it ever actually had an 'I; in it. I just meant I put one in when pronouncing it. Couldn't get my tongue round Swm :)
Hmmm - I often find I can't get my tongue anywhere near my Swm, either :lol: :lol:

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
phil.p":2oui0dfg said:
:D woken up on form today, Greg? :D
I doubt it. If he was on form he would be able to reach his swm ok. I am probably older than he is and I manage without any problem. ( mind you, I do have very long toes )

Tom K

Established Member
Reaction score
Grahamshed":2cnorxs7 said:
phil.p":2cnorxs7 said:
:D woken up on form today, Greg? :D
I doubt it. If he was on form he would be able to reach his swm ok. I am probably older than he is and I manage without any problem. ( mind you, I do have very long toes )
And a neck like a 'kin giraffe =D>