Superglue - variable quality & what do you use it for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gidon

I bought 28 tubes - 2gr each - for 10 Zloty (£2.5) but I have also the Loctite 20gr that cost $10 (in Japan) and I do feel big difference...

The Locktite is "grabbing" very fast, penetrates much deeper and dries in seconds...

When I need it for an important job - like for the screw threads and countersinks - I use the Locktite but for all the "not so important" jobs, I use the cheap one...

As they say; "That's what it costs - that's what it worth"...

Regards
niki

Thanks Niki - confirms my thoughts!
Wizer - nice theory except I think the shelf life of superglue at normal temperatures in only a year :(!.
Cheers
Gidon

Niki
Thanks - actually I have some of their stuff - they are the Starloc I mentioned in my OP. It's good stuff. Not sure many people have a fridge in their workshop though but could be wrong!!
Cheers
Gidon

The fridge trick doesn't work so well once it's been opened. The best superglue I have used is "Zap" once opened it will last 6-9 months. They do a thin medium and thick. The air space in the bottle is an inert gas or at least dry air to prevent it going off early.
The best way to store the glue is to get a capillary tube and drill a small hole in the top of the bottle about 1mm insert the fine capillary. This can then be used for placing the glue exactly where you want (negative pressure in the bottle prior to application) then put a pin in the capillary tube when you have finished. If the end of the tube should get blocked just cut a couple of mm off it.

Alan

Go to one of the aero modelling sites and you will find quite a number of different 'super glues', all with different uses and somewhat more expensive that the pound shop variety.
Some are not even of the 'sudden death' types and require a spray with an accelerator to set them. Means you can move your parts around to get a correct location,
And most have a decent shelf life as well.

Roy.

Sorry missed these posts. Nice tip Alan.
I'll see if there are some modelling shops around next time I'm after some glue.
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon

The model shop herehas been around a while and it is the glue I mentioned, I can't see how much capillary tube you get in the deal but when I bought it in the model shop it was a foot or so long but I still have loads left.
If you click on the super glue link to the left you can see the alternatives.
I would try to seek out a local shop and save the postage.

Alan

hiya gidon, i use the same as in your op. starloc, i was talking to them in runcorn where its made by them.it all depends of the filtration, i e yor bostic and all the diy sheds take the rubbish, cos its cheaper and all the good stuff goes into the industrial brands. i use it for my finish on pens. i have never had my digits stuck, and never used debonder. if i cut myself i also use it. if i get it on my skin i just leave it until it dries then get in the bath and after a soak for 5 mins it just comes off. oh and after using all types of brands cheap and dear, i still think starloc is best. i dont put the cap on once opened, and its never gone off.hope this helps.

Thanks Greggy -that's interesting. Will prolly stick with Starloc for more important stuff but quite impressed with this Bondloc LV from Toolstation for everything else.
Cheers
Gidon

Nev - the question was not specifically about Mitre Bond stuff - although I've tried that and it works ok. It's just an superglue activator and some high viscosity superglue as far as I can tell?
Cheers
Gidon

Heres a funny one for you. my friend i was working with accidentally mitre bonded his lips together!
I also know of I silly person who was using expanding foam with a nail, He hit the nail into the head of a can, the can squirted expanding phone all over his hair and face! he had a fun old time down A & E

Back