Super glue?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I see that the advice from Axminster pen making instructions is to put three coats of super glue as a final coating on a wood turned pen. Is that absolutely necessary? I suppose it seals in the linseed oil and the wax...but isn't there anything else that could be used? Super glue seems a bit extreme.

Many thanks,
Peggy

I use CA glue on pens & other small items. It is a durable finish, and easy to apply. The very fact that pens are made to be used could mean a wax or BLO finish might rub off more easily over time.

Hi Peggy
Super glue (CA) is just one way of finishing a pen. It provides 2 things, a shine and a protective hard coating that doesnt wear as quickly as a simple polished wood finish.
As a pen is handled any polish or wax finish will quickly be rubbed off and the finish become dull. it is of course a matter of personal preference whether to have a shiny finish or not, but if you use a standard wood finish and polish to a sheen , your customer will probably expect that sheen to remain while the pen's in use and won't expect to have to re polish it every time they use it.
There are a number of methods of applying the CA just have a search on youtube. As with all things it takes a little practice to get the hang of it so have a practice on some scraps before you sacrifice a pen kit :)

chipmunk":262izbw7 said:
Hi Peggy,
Have you seen the BLO CA finish used on pens?

If you haven't then take a look at this clip...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

HTH
Jon

Thats the chap whos method I managed to get the hang of and currently employ.
IME pound shop superglue is just as effective, especially when learning, no need to splash out on the decent stuff.

Hi Peggy I have been making pens for over 20 years now and never used a ca finish I tried it but didnt like it one bit but thats me the worst bit was the smell.
I use several different types of finish depending on what material I make the pen with for wood hut make several products especially for pens it is expensive but it last for years https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/compo ... l-coat-6oz they do two sticks of polish as well one gloss one satin but I use Carnauba Wax Stick on top just to give the pen that bit extra protection jut remember antique furniture has a polish finish they just need looking after good luck and enjoy

Thanks so much for your replies everyone. I'd be relieved if I don't have to use super glue, I don't fancy it at all. I am about to check out all the links you've posted, but hope i'll be able to afford the expensive finish Woody recommends as I'd much prefer that.

Peggy

Peggy....

+1 for the Turners Retreat Crystal coat, and the wax sticks too....

I bought a bottle 3 years back, have made i cant remember how many pens, and still have half a bottle left, so i can confirm it lasts a very long time, and the finish lasts a very long time too, or at least no-ones come back and said "they've gone dull..."

The wax sticks i've used on pens, ring boxs, even a couple of goblets too. The 'satin' one is satin, but i'd say the 'gloss' one isn't much shinier. But hey.... for the price give em a go....

Nick

Ooh thanks Nick, that sounds perfect, I'm so relieved I don't have to use super glue I didn't fancy it at all.

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

i used supper glue and BLO worked ok but then fount crystal coat and havent used anything else on wood since.

spam

Hi Peggy also check out chestnut microcrystaline wax, gives quite a durable finished.

The CA finish is very good though, give it a go, just so you have, but please please full face mask when you do.

Peggy":13azof4d said:
Oh, it must have horrible fumes then.

Peggy
Fumes is an understatement it stinks makes your eyes water hits you in the back of the brain and makes your toes curl up LOL it is very toxic

Yuck. When do the pens become usable? I presume the fumey effects wear off? What if the user chews the end of the pen?!

Peggy

Joking aside a mate of mine was involved in the development of the modern resins has developed a very nasty reaction to all these chemicals like C/A and resins and has to avoid them like the plague now or the fumes will kill him so just much is safe to use ?

Personally I think liquid CA and a spinning workpiece is potentially a recipe for disaster. Apart from that I dislike any form of plastic finish so my pens are finished with oil only. They have a more natural appearance and still feel like wood!

Oh! Woody that sounds absolutely awful what a worry for your friend

Paul, thank you, what a relief. I like the sound of that, I think I will use oil too. What is the best type to use I wonder?

Peggy":2lwspyy7 said:
If I treat the pen with oil, would I then seal it with wax?

Peggy
Hi Peggy
It all depends what oil you use as to what finish you want some oils will give you a satin finish some a gloss most will give you a very durable pen with a deep finish but it dose take a lot longer to do as it will need several coats over several days and you can put polish over the oil after but the best thing I can suggest is to experiment with finishes and find the one best suited to you personally using oil on pens takes to long for me but some swear by it the same with supper glue get hold of some cheep kits and just have a play till you have found the perfect way for you or just put some wood between centers and experiment with that and carry on asking your questions Happy turning

Back