Supanova 2 or Sorby Patriot?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I STILL haven't got rounf to getting a chuck, but have some nice bits of timber and ideas which will frankly require one, so figure i better bite the bullet.

The Oneway Stronghold was recommended, but i can't justify that expenditure i think. Axminster Precision was second choice, but there is a long wait for them at the minute, as well as for their regular chucks.

Of what is readily available, i've narrowed it to these 2 bits of kit?

Any personal preferences or experiences?

Never owned a supernova so can't comment on that but I've got a patriot and find it excellent. Jaws between the 2 are inter-changeable, I bought the nova 'big' jaws for my patriot before Christmas to help with turning the clock in my avatar, but have to say that IMO they weren't as good quality wise as the patriot jaws I have, whether I got a bad set of jaws is another matter.

Steve :)

I've got a supernova 2 and its great, I think you'll find both are much of a muchness, so it all comes down to deals really.

This supernova on ebay is £129 and comes with a handy set of pin jaws as well as the standard set.

Poolewood are however doing a Sorby Patriot for £117.50 but you don't get pin jaws.

HTH
JT

I have an original Supernova Deluxe and couple of Supernovas (not the current model). Ive never used a Patriot But I do have a set of the jaws.
I originally ordered Sopernova Long Nose jaws but when they turned up they were badly finished (edges still had burrs on them from manufacture). I sent them back and replaced with Sorby, which have been fine.
Other than that one set all my jaws are Supernova and I've had no problem with them (Powergrip, Step, Pin, spigot)

I think it all comes down to price, what offers are available and whether you want to be patriotic.

I have one of the old Supernovas (with the bars) and a Supernova 2 and both are good solid jaws. The Patriot is more or less identical I believe with interchangeable jaws. Sorby started making it when Supernova went Chaiwanese as far as I know so price would be your main criteria as stated. Watch out for the workmanship on both as I have heard good and bad for both chucks.

pete

Hi Ryan

The chuck I use is the Supernova 1 (ie the one without the covered in back and access holes for the key) and have had no problems with it.

See you tomorrow

Malcolm

Hi Guys

I have both :D and I prefer the Supernova2 , they both do the same job and the jaws are interchageable.
The patriot has the silly rubber-band thing and the metal has a rougher / dull finish. The chuck key (T-bar) supplied with the patriot is 'nicer' and chunkier.
The supernova2 has punched numbers on each of the jaw ends (ie 1-4) the patriot doesn't and the supernova has "IN" and an arrow so you know which way to tighten the jaws.The only other moan is that one tightens clockwise and the other anticlockwise.

Our club has an Axminster chuck (K10 I think) and it works OK but my next chuck purchase will be another SuperNova2

Latter's

Johnny

Thanks guys!

I think i'm erring towards that supanova deal....

What kind of capacity could expect with these chucks (and appropriate larger jaws?). The Sorby deep grip jaws claim to do in excess of 16", but the nova has those big powergrip jobbies....

Back