Suggestions for Yew logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have my yew logs cut into workable chunks.

I have about 5 chunks of 12-15" long by 10-12" diameter and 2 chunks 2 ft long that have been cut through the middle.

I was thinking of trying a thin-walled flared vase shape from 1 chunk and a hollow form from another. Any suggestions about other suitable items, I've never had such large pieces before so I am not sure what will work or not.

That of course totally ignores the question of ability :shock: :shock:

Mike C

Fortunately yew is pretty forgiving and turns pretty well wet or dry. Hiollow forms are Georges speciality so he may be on with some good advice. If yiou get stumped and can't think of what to do with them PM me and I'll send you my address :lol: (just joking)

P.S. Whatever you decide you will need some reasonably long tools for that length of hollowing out and a decent lathe. I knackered my perform turning things that big on it too often

Pete

Thanks for the replies.

The timber is still fairly wet, having been felled about 3 weeks ago.

I have a Sorby RS2000 deep hollowing system which was included when I bought my lathe second hand last year. I have a Record CL4-48 with the bowl turning attachment.

I also have some home-made Oland tools and am busy building more. :)

Mike C

the pieces which have been cut through the middle have they been cut through the pith or just down the middle regardles of where the pith was/is?

the piece's left in whole logs is the pith reasonably central or is it of to one side? in other words-was this log growing straight up or was it a branch or from a leaning tree ?

Hi Cornucopia, sorry for delay in replying, have been away visiting family.

I have been told by the source that the logs are from the trunk. The pith is offset from the centre by 1 - 2 inches.

The piece that was cut down the centre was cut through the pith.

The logs are 10 - 12 inches diameter.

I have included the photo from my earlier post

Yew01.jpg

Regards,

Mike C

hi mike- well i would suggest doing some hollow forms/vase's with the pieces which are 12-15" long by 10-12" diameter- make sure you have the top pith in the neck/top hollowing hole so thats that cut away- then the bottom pith in the base- after you've parted it of from the lathe drill the pith out with say a 10mm bit then once its dried out put a 12mm bit through the hole to get concentricity back and then plug it.

by doing this technique your chances of the piece surviving will increase by 10 fold.

the half log lends it self to natural edge bowls and flying saucer shaped hollow forms.

Great idea about the pith George, never thought of doing that and have always worried about the splitting afterwards.

Cheers, Paul :D

Back