Suggestions for piece of burr

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I got given this piece of elm burr this morning - never had a burr before! I was thinking of making a bow from it - any suggestions to guide me? My first thoughts were to put a spigot on the bark side and turn a bowl into the flat side as this would give me the biggest bowl and show off lots of burr...but I've seen burr bowls where it's been done the other way round leaving a natural bark edge....

Depending on your lathe set up how about turning two bowls in the one piece one at the larger end and a smaller one ot the other keeping it all in one piece. you may need to turn two small legs/feet for the shallow end so it sits level when complete. This would leave the outside with all of the natural burr still on it
I have seen it done and it looks very effective

Hi

If you choose to turn it into a bowl cut away as much as you can before you start to turn - the offcuts can give you knobs, finials, pen blanks etc. which will be lost if you turn it from scratch.

Regards Mick

As you have a high percentage of natural edge to the burr I personally would do my utmost to preserve it and turn the bowl depression in the cut face. These are not Burrs but the holding method would be one way of mounting it.

Nice suggestions - I had wondered about doing two bowls in one. Not sure my lathe will manage it, but with some ideas for holding from Chas it might be possible. Sadly, I'm off on holiday for 5 days tomorrow so won't be able to do anything with it for a week - so, a week of planning!

This might give you an idea regarding base if you don't want to just prop it up on legs/buttons.

file.php

woodpig":3dp309eq said:
Or you could make some more pens with it Stewart! :lol:
Stone him, hang draw and quarter him, Mods do we have to suffer such sacrilege ?

woodpig":11lr9641 said:
Or you could make some more pens with it Stewart! :lol:

Even though I make a few pens I draw the line at cutting up a nice blank of that size, however if I was to cut any bits off I would then use them for pen blanks

Unfortunately I can't view photobucket images. everything else but not those.

With "precious" bits of wood I do try to core out what would otherwise be waste. Have made a few cute things from aspiring shavings.

I think I'll go for a bowl with this piece. There's a chance some more might be coming my way through my friends' din who has just starting working with some tree surgeons who are cutting a lot of elm at the moment. I've said I'll take anything/everything!

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

I mounted my 8 inch diameter acacia burr on a small faceplate with thin screws, then used PVA to glue crumbs of bark into the holes when the job was finished. They are invisible. The finish on the turned surface is oil. The bark is sealed with a single coat of Rapidclear, a marine varnish which has low gloss as a single coat on a rough, absorbent surface. The bowl sits at an angle, but that is what I wanted it to do.

Burr-1.jpg

Burr-2.jpg

Burr-3.jpg

Attachments

• Burr-1.jpg
    Burr-1.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1,060
  • Burr-2.jpg
    Burr-2.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 1,060
  • Burr-3.jpg
    Burr-3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 1,060
Nice work, Andy - more food for thought for me....things are on hold at the moment as I'm possibly changing my lathe so have had to clean my one up to photograph it for sale...

Still haven't done anything with this piece of burr but was able to collect 8 more pieces this morning and have had a go with one of them. Looks beautiful. Hope I do it justice in the end...
9a9d623e7421cee830c02faa6e68af4d.jpg
8117c1eafe25669693e1b2d62e925edc.jpg
4b05431b045df9491424682ff95d8189.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't it easy to go off people :mrgreen: some folks have just too much thrust upon them.

CHJ":6hackcyf said:
Isn't it easy to go off people :mrgreen: some folks have just too much thrust upon them.
I know, I know... :oops: :oops:
Most of it will be going back to the chap who gave it to me - once it's been turned into something, of course. Haven't got to the point of being able to sell stuff yet...

Back