Suggested upgrade for a Charnwood W650

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache_sim

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have used my Charnwood W650 for nearly 2 years now and have been fairly happy with it apart from one or two niggles, but as I approach retirement from my full time job to spend more time in my workshop I would like to upgrade the W650 to something a little better.
There appears to be a large jump in price from the £900 for the W850 to say the Axi TSCE 12R.

What might be considered a reasonable upgrade from the Charnwood W650 with a budget of about £2K. I am looking for new.

For a budget of £2k, I think I would be looking for a machine with a true panel saw type sliding table (ie one that runs right next to the blade), unless you wanted to do a lot of heavy ripping.

a few suggestions: Record TS315 or maybe minimax SC1? Jet JTS 600 xlm

I'm sure people will be along recommending 2nd hand before long!

HARVEY SAW HW110LGE-30 That is a new one on me, not that I am an expert.
Does anyone have any first hand experience of the Harvey HW110LGE-30.

Regards
Mick

Does anyone know anything about Woodford Tooling?
I am thinking of ordering the Grizzly look alike HW110LGE.
Has anyone any experience using the HW110LGE saw table?

Thanks for the info.
If I have got this right the model Woodford Tooling are selling which is a Harvey HW110LGE-30 is the same model as the Xcalibur, Grizzly and Deft (and possibly a few more). Or am I miles away?

Regard's
Mick

Yup - spot on (from my own research anyway). Craftex CX{something} as well I think. Loads of video reviews on the machines if you search under the US branded names.

Small point but be aware those prices on Woodford Woodworking do not include VAT until checkout. Appreciate you probably know this but just in case.

That said it is still a decent price for what looks like a competent and solid saw.

I have had an email with the price quoted but no mention of VAT, I was assuming that as there is no mention of VAT anywhere on the website that the prices quoted are inclusive. I also did a trial checkout and there was still no indication of VAT, so short of putting in my card details the prices were pretty much as the website plus a 10% Christmas discount... bargain. I think I will take the plunge and order.
Thanks for all the advice,

It is very useful even though these questions are raised multiple times in differing formats and over many years, that up to date opinions are sought.

Regards
Mick

Back