Suggest a good wood for a mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, so I want to make a carvers type mallet, LV is often used but to much hassle to get hold of and I want to turn the head and handle in one piece.
I guess Ash has a good impact resistance but I fancy something with a bit more style or colour to it. What would the team suggest ?

You really need density and strength in a mallet so the heavier hardwoods. Apple is both decorative and dense....remember my fishermans priest? That was the reason, heft plus pretty. Oak would probably do at a push. Thorn is also very dense and turns beautifully barring its desire to split when drying.

Will we actually get to see this Gray????? (I don't actually believe you've really bought a lathe you see :)

I use whatever I have handy. Maple, Oak, Birch or some mystery wood from skids or pallets. Once the outside of the head starts to chip and splinter it gets chucked back on the lathe and gets turned down to a smaller size and used some more. They are easy enough to make so there is no excuse for not having several. :wink:

Pete

Nick has beaten me to it!

I would suggest Beech too, if you look for wood with interesting grain, figure and/or colour remember that the item is less likely to be used for the purpose for which it was made!

Regards, Peter.

Random Orbital Bob":xp9ttjpp said:
Will we actually get to see this Gray????? (I don't actually believe you've really bought a lathe you see :)
Not long till the egg has to be submitted so time will tell :)

Just hope it hatches in time.

Inspector":5m3nsne5 said:
Once the outside of the head starts to chip and splinter it gets chucked back on the lathe and gets turned down to a smaller size and used some more.
Pete
:p Daft as it sounds, I hadn't thought of that. End up with different sizes regardless :)

Maybe not an exciting grain but my first choice from a functional point of view would be Hornbeam.

Not so good for one piece mallets but an excellent source for mallet sized LV is crown green bowls. Occasionally available in antique shops or boot sales, the wood is often very beautiful and certainly well seasoned. There's nothing quite like the weight of lignum, it makes the job easier.

For one piece mallets, maybe bubinga ?

Laburnum is surprisingly dense and can have a nice grain, I made a mallet with some a few months ago and haven't managed to mark it yet.

Mike.R":2f7m7cy9 said:
Not so good for one piece mallets but an excellent source for mallet sized LV is crown green bowls. Occasionally available in antique shops or boot sales, the wood is often very beautiful and certainly well seasoned. There's nothing quite like the weight of lignum, it makes the job easier.

For one piece mallets, maybe bubinga ?
Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum.
It was old bowls I had in mind when saying getting LV is a PITA :)

I would say Apple as a first choice (after Lignum Vitae) closely followed by beech.

Graham only want to make a mallet to beat the lathe into submission :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:) Thankyou Graham.

Lignum Vitae.. for me it would be worth any PITA involved. Such an enjoyable wood to turn, balances beautifully with a rosewood/cocobolo handle and will last 3 lifetimes. Probably best to have a small, medium and large, just to cover all eventualities. :wink:

This is mine Graham made from Lignum Vitae head and chestnut handle held in with a wedge. The head looks a lot darker now and no signs of wear yet

mallet.jpg

Dalboy":i4h67lz8 said:
Graham only want to make a mallet to beat the lathe into submission :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You got it Dalboy :)

This mallet is going to get used, but perhaps not that much, so I am thinking decorative and practical in equal measures. I have always wanted one so now I can make one, :)

HI
I have a spare bowling ball if you want it pm me your address and I will send it to you.

Berns

inaspin":24uou7wu said:
HI
I have a spare bowling ball if you want it pm me your address and I will send it to you.

Berns

Thats very kind of you Berns but I think I am going to make a one piece one out of yew.
Thank you for the offer.

Back