Success and disaster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevel

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a tale of success and disaster. To start with the disaster, I managed by lack of attention to put my thumb into my table saw blade. I was using a push stick, but I was guiding the wood with my other hand and took my eye of the job in hand at a crucial moment. No initial pain just the change in the pitch of the saw..... Next thing blood and bits. Off to casualty and now no woodwork for several weeks until it gets back together again. I hope I have learnt a valuable lesson!

The success is that I have had the time to upload some pictures of the workshop and the projects I have completed in the last few months.
My workshop is a single garage. This is the offending saw:

This is the bandsaw and p/t:

smallish, but OK for my projects.

My first attampt at woodworking was the deck in the garden and wood floors throughout the house then I made this kitchen unit in american white oak with a cherry top.

This was followed by some small bedside tables and coffee tables with sapele frames and maple tops.

This small setback has not stopped me from planning for more projects, I was preparing wood for a drop leaf table in eurpean oak when the accident happened and am now waiting impatiently to restart. I hope that this doesn't happen to anyone else and I'm looing forward to posting the table when I can finish it.
Thanks to all of you who post and keep we busy reading until I can start again.
Steve

Steve,
Nice work -and I am not talking about the accident! I like the coffee maker table very much.

I hope that the hand gets better soon and that any missing bits don't hamper you too badly.

Sorry to hear about your thumb but glad you posted.

I like to think I'm pretty careful but stories like this make you realise how easy it is to lapse in concentration.

Your P/T looks like mine but black. I didn't spring for the wheel set as it seemed expensive. Hard to tell from the picture but if that is the pukka wheels on yours - and is that some kind of raise and lower mechanism? Might explain the high price!

Hi All, thanks for your condolences, Alan , the only good thing is that now I can keep my thumb out of the washing up water!

Robert, the p/t is a SIP, the whee;l kit is from axminster, they sent 2 because a small part was missing from one. It now has swivelling wheels both ends making it easioer to manouver.

Steve

Hi Steve

Sorry to hear about your injury, luckily you didn't lose a complete finger or thumb, hope you heal quickly!

Also, nice work on the tables and unit - i'm very impressed, espeicially as these are two projects that SWMBO has earmarked for me to as a matter of urgency..

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for the pics of your workshop and projects. I think I like your kitchen unit best.

Sorry to hear about your injury - Hope you get better soon.

On the subject of recovering from table-saw injuries.. I read a very interesting article a couple of days ago about some of the research into regrowing limbs with the help of a powdered pig bladder extract.. Here's the URL
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070219/ap_ ... ng_fingers

Steve

Your injury brought back some painful memories for me. I "put" my left thumb into the table saw blade a couple of years ago. Hurt like mad once I noticed it! Had 3 stitches and an excuse for no washing up for a month. Hope yours gets better soon.

I particularly like the kitchen table. My brother has asked me to make one for him along the same lines. Can you tell me the size of yours please, only roughly.

Bob

Steve,
thanks for sharing, I'm glad you cleaned the TS before posting :wink:

Your drop leaf table project sounds interesting please keeps us posted with WIP when you are well enough to resume.

Andy

Great stuff. Hope the injuries heal ASAP, and you don't get too much grief from the missus over it!

Adam

I gingerly scrolled down your post thinking the pictures were going to show your thumb! :shock: Luckily it was your wonderful work instead, very nice. Sorry to hear about the thumb, those things don't take prisoners I am afraid. Get well soon. :wink:

Bobscarle wrote:
I particularly like the kitchen table. My brother has asked me to make one for him along the same lines. Can you tell me the size of yours please, only roughly.
The top is 28mm cherry, 910mm x 500mm. The top rails are 18mm x x 350mm and the legs are 48 x 36 x 880, which gives the correct hight to fit with our kitchen units. Its finished with danish oil and briwax.

I haven't had any stiches, there is a cube of about I cm missing from the top of my left thumb so nowhere to stitch . I am seeing a consultant next week to see if it needs a skin graft but I hope that wont be neccesary.

Fecn wrote:

On the subject of recovering from table-saw injuries.. I read a very interesting article a couple of days ago about some of the research into regrowing limbs with the help of a powdered pig bladder extract..
I had a quick look at the article, reminds me of a research project I was involved with in my past life. We tested a natural product to regenerate bone growth, only problem was there was no way to turn it off!!

Thanks for all your support and interest
Steve

stevel":mbn5e3ps said:
Off to casualty
Arguably the riskiest bit these days... 8-[ Hope you heal up soon, Steve - and nice tables and coffee wotsit. :D We must be within about 3 miles of each other btw - I'd invite you round but I might wait now 'til your thumb's more squeamish-friendly
faint.gif
:wink:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back