Subtleties of shaving deflection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice video, however, I don't see how it relates to what I do. My planes generally produce a shaving you can read through, about 4 thou by my micrometer and have a mouth, the front of which adds greatly to the dynamic of cutting wood. In addition I am unlikely to cut against the grain. In the video they were producing a 20 thou (0.5 * 1/25.4) shaving and with no mouth, against the grain. I would expect very different performance from a real plane. The dimensions they are talking about with respect to chip breaker positioning are ublikely to occur in real life, mine, for example, are set at about 0.5mm or 20 thou not 0.1 mm or 4 thou. I would like to see someone set a set of irons that finely in a workshop.

Achieving a flat edge to a chip breaker is not hard, set the cutting medium above the bench, rest the chip breaker on the cutting medium at one end and the bench at the other and move back and forwards until the edge is flush with the (FLAT) cutting medium.

Hi Danny,

They take a 2 thou shaving first, with no tearout even against the grain. Then they take a 4 thou shaving and experiment with the capiron setting to get a similar tearout free result. You are a factor of 10 out.

Setting the caprion at 0.1mm from the edge is indeed difficult, but 0.2mm is no problem. I do it every day, so it can't be too outlandish. 0.2mm is an ideal position for most smoothing jobs, a jointer has it set further away, and a jack even a bit further still. I'd say, give it a try, and see how your simple planes are transformed. One of the major improvements is the ability to take thicker shavings. You are not limited to fluffy 1 thou shavings anymore.

Forgot to add: do not meassure the capiron distance to the edge. Set it as close as you can. Grab an ofcut full off knots and plane it. If you still get tearout, set it closer.

Don't reject a method on theory alone.

Back