stupid question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
I know very little about scroll saws! :-k and won't be getting one for a while (unless I find a very cheap second hand one) but would like to know what can and cannot be done on one.

My main thing is turning. and I would be looking for, amongs other things, ways to use the saw to add something different and do have a few ideas floating about in the void between my ears. :roll:

I already know you can cut patterns into the lids, which is what I want to do mainly at first (once I have got one and put some practice in) but the stupid question is, can you cut into the side of a hollow object in any way? Which I doubt as the blade has to go all the way through and it would need a deep throat? But just thought I would ask.

I looked on you tube and found this which is a bowl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-W_BeQO ... re=related

And have thought of halving the item vertically and doing it that way.
but is there a simpler way?

The way Steve Good cuts bowls in his video is pretty effective and uses wood very economically - so long as the glue holds! There's a book by Pat Spielman (one of his frequent collaborative works) in which he tells you how to make these sorts of bowls using a router and a scroll saw. It's rather technical but the results are superb and by segmenting different types of wood you can produce some stunning bowls. You're not limited to just round shapes, either - you can make then ellipsoid or even tear-drop shaped.

I made a shallow dish using a scroll saw a little while ago:

Dish3a.jpg

Dish2a.jpg

To my mind, this sort of scrolling could definitely be used to advantage by woodturners; I'm hoping to discuss the possibility with some turners at the bash in Brum this September, if I can make it.

I'm also wondering if it would be possible to take a bowl that's already been turned, mount it on a false scroll saw table that's fitted with three inverted supporting pins, and cut fretwork. I'm imagining a contraption something like a three-legged stool turned upside down. However, I'm not a turner and I don't have any bowls with which to experiment.

Gill

Love the dish!

The bowl idea with the three legs? you mean a sort of off center tilting effort? I have to admit I did wonder of such a thing existed, though don't have a clue about it, and couldn't see how you make it stable and have no skill in the mechanical side of things in the least!! :oops:
! Sounds very interesting though!! I could send you some bowls if you want to try it out?

Until today when I had a proper look at some you tube videos, I had no idea how much you can do with a scroll saw!! I suppose it is a bit like turning in that sense, you say 'wood turning' and they think 'bowls' you say 'scroll saw' they think 'jigsaw puzzles' but it just the tip of the iceberg!

I have only watched about 4 basic saw videos on you tube, and already my tiny brain is buzzing with things to try and that will add to my turning ...once I have leaned how to do it that is!! :lol:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so:

Scrollsawbowlsupports.jpg

It's just a quick sketch, but I'm thinking a bowl could be supported on the three coloured pins which protrude from the false saw table and rotated to make the cuts. It would be an advantage to use a saw which has a rotatable blade (such as a Diamond) for this sort of work. Setting the pins at different heights would allow bowls to be tilted at different angles, enabling a variety of bowls with different dimensions to be cut. It would be important to make sure they weren't hit by the swinging upper arm of the saw!

Gill

This just shows that I have never used one!! never even though you can alter the angle of the table .. DOH!!! #-o

Don't see why that should not work, as I said, if you want a few little simple bowls to experiment with email or PM me an address and the size you think would be best and I will send you a few.

mrs. sliver":3ek3hu41 said:
I already know you can cut patterns into the lids, which is what I want to do mainly at first (once I have got one and put some practice in) but the stupid question is, can you cut into the side of a hollow object in any way? Which I doubt as the blade has to go all the way through and it would need a deep throat? But just thought I would ask.

in theory you can use a scroll saw to cut in the side of a hollow form , but it is diificult to get right as you have to put the upper arm inside and support the work on a false platform - which makes it difficult to see what you are doing - when i tried this i used a maglight torch on a head band to illuminate the inside - but results were still poor.

It is however certainly possible to use a hand held fret saw to alter your forms - look at mark hancock's work ( I belive he's a member here)

alternately if you want to cut patterns in the side of a form (rather than the neck), i'd tend to suggest either a dremel with a carving bit , or one of those little reciprocating saws that model makers use.

Doing it on the scroll saw as you first mentioned is not for a total novice!! so I shall put this idea in the 'needs more thought' file! :lol:

It will, most likely, be months before I even get a saw! let alone learn how to get a decent result from one! but I shall drift on to this forum from 'next door' (weird spinny people) until I am ready to 'let it rip' :lol:

Hi Mrs. Sliver,

Do you know someone by the name of Mr. Sliver?
He is a good friend of mine and I asked him this morning if he knew you.
Not that I know, he said.

Mike M

I am mrs. sliver on here purely because it was my husband who was a member at first and his 'user name' was sliver. He bought a lathe, I gave it try and got hooked, and joined the site. so not related to anyone off the site calle mr. sliver ..... one is enough!! :lol:

Back