Stuff Dave made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning All,

As I've been here for two years already (and somehow racked up over 400 posts :? ) it's about time I actually posted some woodwork. Please bear in mind I consider myself just a humble beginner!

Grace's Box
SWMBO asked me to make her a jewellery box. It is her design and she painted the glass panel. The wood is walnut.

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Garden Gates

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Mick's Box
A neighbour was given a load of various hardwoods by a retiring joiner to chuck in his stove. When he found out I am a hobby wood butcher he decided it would be criminal to burn all that wood and very generously Gave me the good bits. As a thank you I made him this box from sapele.

DSC_9617.jpg

DSC_9614.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thank you for the kind words :)

phil.p":13l5a7xy said:
Nicely done for the most part, but I'll stick my head above the parapet - on your joints, you need to be careful where you use a knife and where you use a pencil.

Rest assured I have changed my tactics a little since these were made. I must admit to not minding the scribe lines on dovetails, but I know I'm in the minority there. Wasn't there a thread about that recently?

Humble beginner???
There's some good work there that leads me to believe your better than you give yourself credit for. Did you machine the timber yourself? And where did you get your box lock and hinges from?
The gate... not sure if it just the picture quality, but if its not, it's usual to router a chamfer on the inside of the stiles and top rail where the boards are going. It gives it a nice V groove like you get with the rest of your boards.

joiner_sim":31wvyzgt said:
Humble beginner???
There's some good work there that leads me to believe your better than you give yourself credit for. Did you machine the timber yourself? And where did you get your box lock and hinges from?
The gate... not sure if it just the picture quality, but if its not, it's usual to router a chamfer on the inside of the stiles and top rail where the boards are going. It gives it a nice V groove like you get with the rest of your boards.

Thank you for the kind words. Apart from a bandsaw for rough sizing, I do everything by hand. The walnut and sapele for the boxes was prepared with handplanes, the softwood for the gates was bought as PAR but thicknessed by hand. The box lock came from ebay and the escutcheon was cut from an offcut of 3mm brass sheet. The hinges came from the local DIY shop.

As for a chamfer on the gate stiles, I wish I'd thought of that.

You have my full respect for doing the timber planed to size by hand. Not an easy task and not one I think I'd have the patience for!

Also, the top edge of the boards usually get chamfered too, forgot to mention that when saying about the top rail.

Didn't realise it had been so long since I posted this thread...

Here's a few more bits. Apologies for the rubbish photos.

Another walnut box
Grace painted a glass panel for this one too, but unfortunately we were in rush to get the box out and didn't get any photos of it.

IMG_0594.jpg

Tool Chest

DSC_0871.jpg

Grace's Carving Vice
Loosely based on Benchcrafted's drawings, which in turn are based on a vintage French(?) vice. Made from bits of oak sleeper, and I machined the hardware on my ML4

IMG_0773.jpg

DSC_1207_zps0ca5bd2e.jpg

Fantastic work. I would be interested to see some more on the glass painting and if possible understand what paint etc is used. I had an idea to do similarly with a painted glass panel in a box lid (but would be limited to something very simple/geometric since I am not a painter)

marcros":23igd4u0 said:
Fantastic work.)

Thank you :D. I'll let Grace [Doris] tell you about the glass painting, she is a member on here

marcros":yqnieluy said:
Fantastic work. I would be interested to see some more on the glass painting and if possible understand what paint etc is used. I had an idea to do similarly with a painted glass panel in a box lid (but would be limited to something very simple/geometric since I am not a painter)

Hi there. Thanks for all the compliments on my glass work. I don't really have anymore examples of my painting at hand but can answer your other questions in the meantime.

The paint used is just known as glass paints. You can get them from hobbycraft and they cost around £4 per pot. You can also buy glass liners for outlines which is in a tube with a nozzle at the end and you just pipe the stuff onto your glass. These cost around £7 per tube but do go a fair way. Make sure it is glass paint you have picked up and not ceramic paints as the two pots look very similar to one another.

Transferring your design is pretty simple on a flat pane of glass. Just stick your paper design underneath the glass and trace your outlines with the tube. Allow these to dry and then paint the sections in between. You have to work quickly though as the paint dries very fast. This is why a lot of painters break their artwork up into small sections. Also you will need to raise the glass up off of your work surface to let the light through. This will show you any gaps you have missed and so you can quickly fill them before the paint dries. Apply the paint thickly or you won't really get much colour showing through when the box is closed.

Some painters allow the paint just to air dry while others will bake the paint in order to fix it in place. It really depends on what you intend to do with the glass being painted. If your glass painting will be washed over and over again or knock around a fair bit then I would recommend baking at the lowest setting in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. Don't do it on a high heat or longer as the paint will burn. The paint can also bubble up if cooked soon after applying and not being allowed to dry for 24 hours.

You shouldn't feel that you are just limited to geometric designs. Basically your imagination is your only limitation. If you are struggling for inspiration then there are plenty of glass painting books out there that have patterns in the back for you to copy or change to your taste. These you find in craft shops or you can borrow from the library. Some can be found on the internet too.

Any other questions you may have feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them for you. :)

What a great set of projects and the glass painting is really interesting stuff ! Can I have the toolchest please :lol: love the colour :cool:

marcros":fyu8r4z1 said:
I would be interested to see some more on the glass painting...

I found some more of Grace's work... this is a lantern that Grace painted, then we cannibalised some solar garden lights to turn it into a night light

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

And the same design on a box for marshmellows :D

DSC_0935.jpg

(it's the lid from from a CD case, but the principle's the same)

ColeyS1":fyu8r4z1 said:
What a great set of projects and the glass painting is really interesting stuff ! Can I have the toolchest please :lol: love the colour :cool:

ColeyS1":fyu8r4z1 said:

Thank you :D

Back