Stuck orbit change button on Metabo SXE450 sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
The orbit change button is well and truly stuck - I've tried everything to release it to no avail. Has this happened to anyone else. It should be under warranty but the Metabo site doesn't seem to work just now and I can't find a number to ring!
Anyone had this / sorted it / tried out Metabo's warranty service?
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Gidon,

Mine did this once it was about a month out of warranty :evil:. The button is captive in the base so you would have to replace the whole bottom casting to fix it properly - its a really stupid bit of design. If you have no luck under the warranty, I 'fixed' mine by drilling out right in the centre of the red button with a 4mm (IIRC) drill bit. You can then pull the button out manually after changing the orbit by sticking a small screwdriver in the hole & levering it out. To be honest, I leave mine on the 6mm orbit most of the time now, as it tended to be very hard to control on the 3mm orbit anyway. I now have a 5" ROS (NOT Metabo!) for finish sanding.

Give me a PM if you need any more info,

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks Neil - good to know I'm not the only one!
I managed to speak to Metabo support - apparently I had to register online to get the 3 year warranty. I don't think I did - so it looks like I'm stuffed too. That will be my last Metabo purchase. Supposedly trade quality and only had light but regular use. I've done some searching and this problem is quite common. If I can be bothered I may persue this further.
Anyhow I managed to use my compressor to blow the button out, but no amount of grease, oil etc seems to lubricate it so it doesn't just get stuck again when I push it in. I like your idea - good workaround!
Cheers
Gidon

Is this the older model or the new "Turbo" one?

I've had the old SXE450 since January 2005 and, "touch wood", I've not had a problem with it. :)

I agree with Neil about the 6mm setting, it's also a bit quieter and doesn't vibrate as much.

gidon":3t2jrrey said:
That will be my last Metabo purchase
Me too - my only other Metabo tool (a cordless drill) also developed a problem after fairly light use.

OPJ, mine is the older model and I'mm 99% sure that Gidon's will be as well. I haven't seen the Turbo in the flesh so I've no idea if they have used the same silly design for the button.

Cheers,
Neil

I was never impressed by my 450. It got rave reviews but I never really got on with it.

I have been really impressed with my 450 had it 2 years or more and although I don't use it everyday its still running well with no problems.

I would say Metabo had a great customer service and I am sure others here would back me up and say that the tools are very good quality.

I bought a Metabo circular saw off a dealer a year or more ago and one little plastic bit was missing from the guide rail system so they sent me a whole new guide rail (£70) and told me to keep the other one too very good service. Sold it soon after and bought a festool though :lol: :lol:

Chippy - wasn't meaning to slate Metabo - just frustrated with my machine failing on me just when I need it.
Anyhow left it overnight with the button out (machine vertical to the button) and a load of oil around it. This morning the button is a lot better!! :)
I'll just have to make sure I oil it every time I use it.
Cheers
Gidon

I just had the red button stuck problem.As it was very hot today,I thought it cold be due to difference between expansion of metal and plastic:
After a thorough cleaning of the sander, I placed for it an hour in the freezer and the red button released.
However, next time I will think twice before buying a Metabo Power Tool.

Jean

No apologies for resurrecting this thread as same just happened to me.
After prising out the button, beginning with a sharp knife, I found it has two springs behind it. One is very small - don’t lose it.
The problem appears to be the button physically sticking in its barrel in the casting. I cured mine by giving it a spin on the lathe and shaving a few thou off the diameter.

IMG_7318.jpeg

IMG_7323.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7322.jpeg
    IMG_7322.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Ah! so that's the secret. I have to admit that i just got rid of my button ( one less thing to go wrong ) I've used it without ever since. Not really noticed the difference - 10 years, and counting. :giggle:

Back