Stu in Tokyo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Not sure how many of you have looked through Stu in Tokyo's website. It is well worth a look. He actually works in a dungeon! No, really! Look at the photos of access to the workshop. Then read about the pillars which help deal with the earthquakes. Buried with his tools comes to mind.

I think I'll stick to my nice wood workshop which is above ground!

Dave

P.s. Nice website Stu. Should keep me busy tonight.

Hey, any workshop is MUCH better than no workshop........ right :lol:

I'm very fortunate to have my Dungeon, sure a nice place in the country with some natural light and a wood stove would be nice, but for living in DOWNTOWN Tokyo, I think I do OK.

View from my roof top..........

downtown_view.jpg

Yep, that is downtown Tokyo, Shinjuku to be exact, the twin towers you see there along the skyline are the Tokyo Metropolitan Government buildings.

Cheers!

Hi Stu

A question for you if you don't mind ?

Are you English or Japanese ?

Watched some of your web sit youtube films and you sound English

Whats it like living in Tokyo

Thanks

Allen

"English or Japanese":shock: Hope Stu is'nt insulted by your question Allen. :lol: :lol:

Not insulted at all, at least Allen did not call me a bloody Yank :twisted:

Just kidding to my American friends!

I'm neither, I'm a Canuck! :D

My father's side of the family is from the UK, my mother's side has been in Canada since before Canada was Canada.

I am turning Japanese, been here 17+ years now.

Cheers!

Stu in Tokyo":25e42kyo said:

My father's side of the family is from the UK, my mother's side has been in Canada since before Canada was Canada.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply

Its just that I have always found the Japanese way of life / culture fascinating , from what I have seen on the TV , The dare I say real Japan ! The houses / Dress , Koi , bonsai trees , would love to go there some time before I end up in my BOX :wink:

Cheers

Allen

davejester":3jh2w6z4 said:
Not sure how many of you have looked through Stu in Tokyo's website. It is well worth a look. He actually works in a dungeon! No, really! Look at the photos of access to the workshop. Then read about the pillars which help deal with the earthquakes. Buried with his tools comes to mind.

I think I'll stick to my nice wood workshop which is above ground!

Dave

P.s. Nice website Stu. Should keep me busy tonight.

Yes - I got drawn into it a couple of months ago (when the snowmen thread was active) and found myself reading (from memory) all 17 pages of the site. It was very late when I finished!

Stu in Tokyo":c0v2izl7 said:

Cheers!

That makes you sound like a character from a Robertson Davies book with that family history. Your mother's family didn't move from New York by canoe by any chance? :lol: Your posts are just as interesting as his books though, every one is worth reading. Love your workshop site too.

Andy

Why thank you Andy.

No canoe, my mother's family sure does have an interesting history though.

My Mom is BIG TIME into Genealogy, so she has the story checked out and the documents to prove it.

Seems that three brothers came over from what we would call Austria/Germany today, they were farmers in what is known as the USA, in an area where the immigrants were called "New Pennsylvania Dutch", being that they said they were "Deutsch" and in Pennsylvania... :roll:

When the war for independence broke out between what is now the US and the English King, the three brothers went to Canada to fight against the Yanks and for the English king, because if they did, they would be given big chunks of land :oops: Oh well, can't fault them at that, I guess. When they showed up at the recruiting place, the English officer asked them "Who are you?" the three brothers, not speaking English well at all thought the question was "What are you?" so they said "Loyalists". They went, they fought, and all three survived. When the war was over, and they went to get their land from the English, there was no record of them signing up :shock: it turns out that the English Officer wrote their names down as "Loyst" (as in Loyalist), thus to claim the land, they had to go by the name of "Loyst" and this is how this name was created. Every Loyst is related to my family, as they came from the original three brothers. One brother did not like what would become Canada, so he went back down south, and there is still a family of Loysts in the USA, the other two stayed in Canada, but one, left farming and opened a bar and brothel in a town, after a few years the townsfolk got tired of the trouble the bar/brothel brought along, so they tared and feathered the brother and ran him out of town, and he was not heard from again, so all of my mother's side of the family come from the one brother left in Canada farming, and his decedents still farm the same land today, so no canoe :D

Most likely more than you wanted to know, hope I did not put you to sleep.

Cheers! :lol:

very interesting start to a family imho :)
Stu, as and when you get the op - could you post piccies of any other Japanese wood workers, it has and still is a dream of mine to go to Japan, and spend at least 6 months there, traveling around wood working shops to try and absorb some of the techniques and style of Eastern woodworking.

Keep posting ,

all the best from a sunny and VERY WET Friesland.

HS aka Karl

Stu's 'the man' 8)
He should be on the TV ... his Youtube video's are great, - he 'presents' with good humour and a very appealing humility.... always very entertaining to watch and listen to.
Just been watching him practice with his Bedan... is THAT ever a savage looking implement !

Keep them coming, Stu ... just great !

:D :D 8)

Back