Strongest wood protection?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadolin used to do some pretty good durable finishes. Not the cheapest, but I've had some pretty good results.

thanks for all the terrific advice everyone. I think I will investigate the following shortlist (in no particular order) after everyones advice :

Johnstones clear protection
Raw linseed oil and borax mix (with stain?)
All in one oil/stain such as Osmo, Sadolin, Sikkens

I'm not averse to the idea of stain, it would just be nice if the wood kept some semblance of a "natural wood" colour. If I were to use a stain would it be used as a primer and then an oil like linseed or Osmo over the top? Or would you mix the 2 together?
Given that I will be recoating each year would I recoat both the stain and the oil? Or just the oil?

Stain of the type we're talking about here ("fence stain" or "fence life" products) if you use them are all you need to protect the wood as that's what their purpose is. Some are better than others of course but they're made to be the one and only thing you apply, many specifically calling for the wood to be clean and free of other coatings.

With the very strong, essentially solid, colour of modern exterior stains like this you're only a short step away from painting the wood and paint is actually the premier wood preservative, far superior to any transparent or lightly-coloured option. I didn't want to mention it earlier because you were set on the natural colour of the wood showing. But if you're willing to look into that option then I'd investigate natural linseed oil paint, milk paint and flour paint, all of which come with a promise of exceptional longevity.

Latest posts

Back