Stripping Copper Cable

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racers":atrzrtlw said:
You can buy tinned copper wire which will save you lots of effort.
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/34306--tcw35 ... tcw35.html
Or I have a reel, tell me haw much you need and I will post you some.

Pete

Is that really 785 meters for £8?

I struggled to find anything under about £20 per hundred meters...

Appreciate the offer, as I live in Italy, that would be too much of an imposition, however if there's truly stock out there at those prices, then I might source some and give up on my current scheme!

PS: I assume being tinned won't affect it's effectiveness at dispersing static?

Kadushu":a5x6jgle said:
Have you considered antistatic paint?

On flexi hose and clear plastic tubing? not sure it would stick. Also the static has to go somewhere right?

mindthatwhatouch":1hxpaj86 said:
A hole in a block of wood a little larger than the cable, then either a sharpenened screw down through the block to stick into the hole or split the block and fix a blade in there some how. Pull the cable through the hole and the sharp point will put a nice slice down the length, takes a bit of messing about to get it set up but works well once going.

I tried this, seems a simple variation on the YT videos I saw, however easier to set up and adjust.

I put a hole near the edge of some 4x4, then drilled a countersink so I could see my point better, and then put a sharpened screw in.

at first I got too much bunching of the insulation inside, or not enough cut, however I then found a sweet spot which did not cut the entire insulation, however enough to allow me to pull the wire out from the insulation (which is what I thought I could do in the first place).

An odd side effect, was that because the wire in the hole could not rotate, if I pulled the copper out from insulation as I went along, it was not really untwisted anymore. Normally the tightness of the insulation straightens the wire, however it was not so tight, and could not untwist, so bonus! That means I can do really long lengths without re-twisting.

I got a bunch of 1m lengths from other techniques and during practice, so i used the drill to twist those which worked great.

I have now done from underground waste pipe to the blade guard which has a suspended arm that's detachable at source (to remove / change guard) and at dust collection point. A couple of alligator clips each end and it's a cinch to remove / install.

All checked for connection to TS earth, so good to go, thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate all your input!

Back