Strengthening MDF edges/corners for jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbrains":3agracy5 said:
... when building jigs that are made from multiple parts that need glue and screw construction, MDF sucks wind. So it is horses for courses. I wouldn't make something like a crosscut sled or tenoning jig for the TS from MDF as I'd want those to last. Mike.
You make a fair point Mike. I was thinking essentially of patterns for routing around, and I hadn't really caught on to the idea that the original question was perhaps more focused on making jigs, fixtures and other workshop aids. My fault for apparently misunderstanding the original purpose of the question. Slainte.

Superstrat":2a0j8h0a said:
transatlantic":2a0j8h0a said:
Superstrat":2a0j8h0a said:
How about trying Softwood Plywood from somewhere like B&Q (http://www.diy.com/departments/plywood-plywood-th18mm-w1220mm-l2440mm-1/945875_BQ.prd)? I've used it to make shop furniture, it's no way the quality of birch ply buy you may find it's a reasonable compromise.

A 2440x1220x18 board is £33 (5 or more sheets = £27 each) and, apart from a few knot repairs, it doesn't have the problems you describe with hardwood plywood which is dreadful stuff.

They also sell these at 2440x607x18.

I'll take a look when I next go down, but I have always found that stuff to look worse than the hardwood plywood?

Maybe I got lucky. I was going to order some more for a mitre saw station I want to build, think I'll take another look first too. They also do a product they call Spruce Plywood for the same price which I thought was the same so I'll check that out too. The hardwood plywood is really nasty but this stuff was really quite nice.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Popped down to B&Q yesterday to look at the plywood you mentioned. I found that the faces looked much nicer, but all the sheets they had were full of voids (large gaps in the plys when viewing the edges). I will try it though I think.

Back