Strat neck faulty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold on, I think I got my maths wrong, it think for .25 semitones, it's more like 8 to 9mm?!

EDIT again: it's 9.42mm, give or take. That's quite a move.

Last edited:
I used a block of wood behind the Trem block tapped in firmly to hold the Trem flat to the body on a new 70s American Strat when I was having stability problems, it worked a treat, I even removed the Trem springs too. May I suggest you try the same as this will give you some more room for adjusting intonation and will also lower your action too.
Good luck. 🎸

I just thought some of you Strat enthusiasts might be interested in seeing my MK Artist Strat that my Luthier Danny Lint of Leicester Luthiers has looked after for me since 2014. I had it personlised for me after a few years of ownership from new in 2006 and plays and looks under stage lighting glorious.
The intonation and playability of the Birds Eye Mape Neck for me personally are spot on but, of course, I did not set it up myself, thanks to Danny.
First photo is as it was new 2 days old.
2006 before any changes.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

I just thought some of you Strat enthusiasts might be interested in seeing my MK Artist Strat that my Luthier Danny Lint of Leicester Luthiers has looked after for me since 2014. I had it personlised for me after a few years of ownership from new in 2006 and plays and looks under stage lighting glorious.
The intonation and playability of the Birds Eye Mape Neck for me personally are spot on but, of course, I did not set it up myself, thanks to Danny.
View attachment 155129
View attachment 155127
Do you still have the old rosewood neck? Interesting in selling it?

View attachment 155129
View attachment 155127
Maple fingerboards are fantastic on Fender style guitars. Good choice!

Do you still have the old rosewood neck? Interesting in selling it?
Sorry, I'm not interested in selling, I have kept every single original item removed so that when I pop off someone in my family can sell everything together.

Hold on, I think I got my maths wrong, it think for .25 semitones, it's more like 8 to 9mm?!

EDIT again: it's 9.42mm, give or take. That's quite a move.
Sounds right. There's a lot of adjustment on the individual bridge pieces so I guess ideally they want to be in a mid position when the E strings are spot on at the 12th, leaving scope for adjustment either way for finer tuning.

Set action, set relief, then worry about intonation. Too much relief will materially alter intonation, excessively
high action will do the same. If in doubt, measure 12th fret and distance to saddle break point to sanity check the relative positions.

Moving on slowly!
Have flattened frets and now need to round them and polish.
Various DIY offerings on youtube but thought I might as well go for the proper job i.e. a diamond file. Probably pay for itself in time and quality, definitely so if I do more than one (guitar that is, not fret!)
This looks good Diamond Fret Crowning File with Black Handle
Any better suggestions?

you can actually use a saw file if you ground off the corners and make them nice and smooth so they don't dig into the fretboard, or you can buy a guitar makers one where they've done this for you but it'll cost a premium, the diamond one looks good and would work with stainless steel frets as well, I've got other tools by chris alsop they are good quality, I got a fret puller from him recently as I am planning on doing a re-fret on an old guitar of mine after about 20 years of playing it a lot.

Back