storing (and possibly drying) sycamore

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
I have now got some Sycamore boards (1.5-3" think) which BSM has chain sawed down to a more manageable size.

I have a mix of basic Sycamore and what might be Fiddle Back.

The basic Sycamore should be pretty dry by now however it was suggested that the FB stuff might need a little longer to dry.

I will be storing this stuff in my Garage and was hoping to put it on spur shelving however I recall reading somewhere that Sycamore should be end reared...

If this is actually true does this mean that I can stack in on the edge or does it have to be stored so that the grain points vertically upwards?

Many thanks

Miles

I thought it was chestnut that was best dried vertically, sycamore was okay to put in stick as normal - certainly that's how maple is dried

Hi Miles

You're correct, Sycamore does need to be stored upright otherwise you risk getting black stains where the sticks in between boards have been, although this is most likely to occur early in the drying process. From previous experience of buying boards with stick marks they do go all the way through so no chance of planing them out.

Phil

Miles, if it's the stuff from Martyn, then it's already got the black stains.

Is there any other reason for vertical storage? I'd rather not store mine like that, they're 12ft long! Bearing in mind the old adage "Keep is as long as possible for as long as possible."

wizer":x533wmje said:
Miles, if it's the stuff from Martyn, then it's already got the black stains.

Is there any other reason for vertical storage? I'd rather not store mine like that, they're 12ft long! Bearing in mind the old adage "Keep is as long as possible for as long as possible."

I'm sure i read somewhere that John Boddy timber use a plastic stick now to avoid having to end rear the timber. This if true is probably easy to copy. Maybe on the Boddy's website.
HTH

I can confirm that newly-cut sycamore should be stacked vertically. Otherwise you risk staining, and eventually, spalting.

I ignored this advice a few years back, and stacked a huge sycamore in the traditional horizontal way. I formed a semi-permanent tent over it......so when I came to have a look at it 3 or 4 years later I was surprised to see that it had all spalted, and even sprouted large "mushrooms".

That which I could save made some wonderful furniture, but most was ruined.

So, if it is wet, stack it vertically......don't ignore the wise old boys like I did!

Mike

From Boddy's site-
Sycamore is one of our finest Native Hardwoods offering a consistently white colour in good lengths and width specifications. The main problem with Sycamore is that it should be felled during the winter period whilst the sap is in the root and then sawn, sticked and kiln dried carefully to avoid sticker shadow. To eliminate the sticker shadow problem we have invested in purpose made herringbone shaped plastic stickers which have given excellent results. We have illustrated both Crown cut and Rift and Quartered boards. Normally these are mixed together in an order but should you require these cuts supplied separately or just one type this presents no problem

All true. Sycamore is one timber where you need to be extra fussy about sourcing. This is one timber best bought kilned from a firm that really knows what it is doing because it will develop grey streaks at the drop of a hat. Some people don't seem to mind but, for me, the main beauty of sycamore is in its whiteness.

I bought some freshly sawn stuff - even watched it go through the Woodmizer - and it looked lovely and white, carefully dried it on end in my dehumidified workshop and still most of it was unusable for furniture. OK if it was painted but then you don't buy sycamore to paint it. Lesson learnt.

Jim

oh bum. Thanks for posting this Miles. It might pay you to take a hand plane to it and see how much black staining it's had. The few bits I have planed have all been a grey/black colour. I actually intend to stain the bulk of mine black but was hoping to use the rest for turning. bum indeed.

So the issue at play here seems to be the contact between the sticker wood and the Sycamore (hence the plastic sticks from JB)? Thus by end rearing it you are ensuring the only contact points are sycamore - sycamore and are very limited (the top).??

With this in mind is there anything wrong with storing it on it's edge so that we maintain the same sort of conditions just at 90 degrees to the norm?

As Tom says the planks are quite long and it'll be hard finding places to put them (though I have cut them into 8' lengths so that I can actually move them on my own)!

Many thanks

Miles

Miles, if the planks have been stored without sticks (as mine are atm :oops: ) when I assume the black staining will be right along.

wizer":1qw3kgfd said:
Miles, if the planks have been stored without sticks (as mine are atm :oops: ) when I assume the black staining will be right along.

Yes I'd guess that this is what will happen. The big sycamore that we bought has obviously had this as it is in a a fairly poor state (for furniture work) when compared to the fiddle back which I think has been stored rather better (though still with stickers)

Miles

I got one of the fiddleback boards which is gorgeous and by sheer coincidence is stored on end in my workshop.

wizer":2c9kwh8p said:
I got one of the fiddleback boards which is gorgeous and by sheer coincidence is stored on end in my workshop.

I have to say I'm not thrilled by mine, mind you I haven't planed it yet so it's probably hiding it's light under a bushel at the moment :)

Miles

For info, Holly is another timber that you have to store / dry vertically else risk dark stains. :twisted:

S

miles_hot":1vzrwwrl said:
wizer":1vzrwwrl said:

I have to say I'm not thrilled by mine, mind you I haven't planed it yet so it's probably hiding it's light under a bushel at the moment :)

Miles

DSC_1660.JPG

I was probably being a little over enthusiastic with that last comment. Compared to the other stuff, it is that lovely banana milkshake colour but I'd not really taken notice of the sticker shade which is quite prominent.

DSC_1662.JPG

I'm not sure if the shade goes right through the timber? But it certainly doesn't plane off the top. This board will probably just be used for turning and the rest will be stained black for some asian inspired furniture in the new year. Just need to sort out my cutting lists and get it knocked down a bit for storage, before the fungus gets it.

Miles.

These boards leaning up my house wall are sycamore, they`ve been drying over 6 months.
CIMG4104-1.jpg

They were stickered at the ends so any staining can be cut off, hopefully they are dry enough now as i need to store them horizontally.

Back