Storage \ Transport options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
i have become a diy man for my sins
I am desperately trying to sort out a small tool storage option
screws rawlugs drill bits etc
what do u use
I have tried small compartment boxes but I feel loads of small boxes are not the option
loading and unloading every night is a PITA
I am considering the sortainers but looks costly
needs to be hard wearing to a limit, does not need to be bullet proof

Steve

are you having to load and unload a vehicle with these, Steve?

Keep all screws and fittings in their original boxes. Just fold the top back and write in felt tip pen what size screw is in the box (BIG numbers) Keep them all in shallow plastic crates that will stack (like greengrocers used to use).
Job done.

If you start making or buying "container systems" you will find they weigh more than the screws and plugs inside them.

Try and organise fixings into job specific containers and then only load what you need for the day. No use taking a couple of boxes of plumbing fixings if you are only fitting shelves, same is true for the opposite, no need for heavy duty SDS bits and 100mm screws if you are changing tap washers.

Having spent 20 years working out of a van, with up to 10 stops a day, I'd tend to carry everything, all of the time.
It might be a chore if you have to empty it every night, but if you get asked to do another job while on site and you have to say you cant 'cos you let those bits at home, you wont get asked a second time.

How about using large, cheap toolboxes to store tools, screws, plugs etc? Easy to pick up and move around, will hold a lot of stuff and because of their flat tops, stackable.

I was going to suggest raaco. I have a set of parts drawers I would think that you need not many of a lot of types for many of the fittings. For your most used screws etc, I would spend the money for something strong and designed for it. Sustainer, or actually the fatmax thing that I got for screws is pretty good. I haven't tested lugging it around very far though but I don't see it being an issue.

I do unload each day
not carrying all the kit could lose a job
I will look at Raaco

Steve

adt":3830we5y said:
I’ve also had good luck with the Stanley fatmax storage boxes, would happily get more if/when I need them.

Stanley 197518 FatMax Deep Pro...

Keep an eye open at homebase. I got one like this and I am sure I only paid 10 or 12 quid. It was a sale, but only a pile them high sale (not stock clearance).

What I like about the raaco solution is that it hasn't changed in decades - can always get more. That a lot at sea (or in a van I guess) as they fit together and don't move. The Fat Max clip together quite securely too.

Back