Stopping checks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseM

Established Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this isn't the right forum for this, but I couldn't think of a better place to put it. I have some somewhat green cedar that is checking. I have sealed the ends. I'm just wondering if I should cut off the up to the check to stop it, leave it, or something else. I'm not sure what the moisture content is right now, but my guess is that it still has a ways to go.

Thanks,
Jesse

i remember reading somewhere how to do this with superglue.

ill try to find it...i thought i saw it on the FWW web site.

we shall see if it can be found again

sparky

JesseM":13jbfy9l said:
...snip.. I have sealed the ends. I'm just wondering if I should cut off the up to the check to stop it, leave it, or something else. Jesse

I would not trim the checks off myself Jesse, I think you will still risk another set starting from your new cut face.

It's a little difficult to advise without knowing the current moisture content or the stock dimensions.

Can you seal the 'checking' ends in cling film or similar to reduce the moisture loss rate in this area?

CHJ":1d9x98km said:
JesseM":1d9x98km said:
...snip.. I have sealed the ends. I'm just wondering if I should cut off the up to the check to stop it, leave it, or something else. Jesse

I would not trim the checks off myself Jesse, I think you will still risk another set starting from your new cut face.

It's a little difficult to advise without knowing the current moisture content or the stock dimensions.

Can you seal the 'checking' ends in cling film or similar to reduce the moisture loss rate in this area?
Thanks, I'll try the cling film to see if it helps. The stock is a 4x4, approximately 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 in.

Latest posts

Back