Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it would if I had anything like half-decent hand skills. There is a reason why I am known as Mr. Jig. It's because I need a bit of help with most tasks.

Steve Ramsey had an interesting viewpoint on this in a video he made on this earlier this year. He thought dado stacks where safer than a regular blade for X reasons.

I enjoy hand tools and will always give it a go but I must admit that after hand chopping all the deep mortices in 2 large garden gates I promptly went out and bought a hollow chisel morticer for my next projects. I reckon it will cut the time in half for a project like that :oops:

Yesterday Ray came over. I marked out some blocks for cutting and then went down to the workshop whilst he filled the air with red dust. The blocks are too damp to sand properly, but even with just a good brushing it looks jolly good now.

Meanwhile I finished off the last two frames for the firewood store.

P1040576.JPG

I'm going to use some of the remaining shiplap for the front and sides, but Ray pointed out that we have some long lengths of pallet which will do for the back. So we dismantled the two large pallets.

P1040578.JPG

P1040579.JPG

By three we were both frozen to the marrow, so we called it a day. I don't suppose Ray will be coming so often now, and certainly not before the New Year. I shall miss his visits.

Attachments

• P1040576.JPG
    P1040576.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 2,441
  • P1040578.JPG
    P1040578.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 2,440
  • P1040579.JPG
    P1040579.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 2,441
No Ray this week but I've not been totally idle.

Yesterday I started building the structure. I used a couple of full lengths of shiplap top and bottom to tie the frames together, then infilled with strips froms the big pallets that the board materials came on.

P1040580.JPG

I needed one-and-a-half lengths per run, so I staggered them to maximise strength. I was planning to put diagonal bracing in, but it really doesn't need it. All those piece have two nails at each post, so it's not going anywhere. I just about managed to get it upright without doing myself a mischief.

P1040580.JPG

Then today I have clad the ends.

P1040583.JPG

The racks for the logs are a piece of shiplap cut into three and laid into those notches. I did them as individual strips just for ease of handling.

P1040584.JPG

So now it look like this.

P1040585.JPG

TBH I'm a bit stymied now. I'm not quite sure how to do the roof. I could do with Ray coming and taking a look. He did say he would come and help with th roof, but he is busy now for a couple of weeks.

One thing I have realised is that the centre of gravity is quite far back. It would not take much to push it over backwards. Once it's in place against the fence that will not be a problem, especially when it is loaded with firewood, but right now it is bit unstable. I wish I'd extended the foot out a bit at the back, like I have done at the front. A couple of inches would make a lot of difference, think.

Attachments

• P1040580.JPG
    P1040580.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 2,309
  • P1040583.JPG
    P1040583.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 2,303
  • P1040584.JPG
    P1040584.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 2,304
  • P1040585.JPG
    P1040585.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 2,304
You could sit something heavy on the wood rack for now, or nail on a temp. prop at the back or even an outrigger at the front.

That's a big looking wood store. Are you planning on going off-grid!

I would also be tempted to partition off the middle two sections to allow you to have nicely contained sections and a good rotation of fresh and dried logs.

Halo Jones":23uf0b21 said:
I would also be tempted to partition off the middle two sections to allow you to have nicely contained sections and a good rotation of fresh and dried logs.

Yes narrower vertical partitioning to keep a rolling sequence going comes into its own if you are drying green wood, the oldest and hopefully the driest is always on the bottom if you just keep adding to the whole wide stack.

All of no consequence though if you are filling it with all the shop off-cuts that are due generation in 2016.

I got a bit more done today.

I nailed up a length of shiplap across the top at the front. I've cocked up here. I should have made the whole thing 32mm shorter. I made the back the length of a board, but after I'd boarded the ends, its 32mm longer than a shiplap board, so I've had to use two boards with a join, which is not very efficient.

I then clamped a rafter in place so that I could mark the positions of the birds mouths.

P1040586.JPG

I notched them out back at the workshop

P1040587.JPG

P1040594.JPG

Then I could nail the front board into the birds mouth

P1040595.JPG

Finally I ripped up some 6x1 and nailed that up to provide the separation inside. Thanks for reminding me, guys.

P1040596.JPG

Then rain stopped play.

Ray said he would come over when I was ready to do the roof, but i don't suppose it will be this week. I shall know tomorrow evening.

Attachments

• P1040586.JPG
    P1040586.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 2,908
  • P1040587.JPG
    P1040587.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 2,908
  • P1040594.JPG
    P1040594.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 2,908
  • P1040595.JPG
    P1040595.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 2,908
  • P1040596.JPG
    P1040596.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 2,908
This morning I installed a piece of membrane. It was a bit breezy but I managed.

P1040597.JPG

English Version:

I have two roof laths left over from the build, and several pieces of 4x2, so I ripped the 4x2s down and put everything through the thicknesser.

American Version:

I have two roof laths left over from the build, and several pieces of 2x4, so I ripped the 2x4s down and put everything through the planer.

It was raining a bit even when I started and then it got too wet to work. But as the day has worn on the rain has died down and the wind has got up. The store was rocking a bit and I didn't like the look of it. So I took a couple of lengths of 4x2 and tried to attach them at the back as stays. I couldn't get them in, so I've screwed them in place from the front. They are acting as cantilevers rather than props, but I don't think the structure is going any place now.

P1040598.JPG

I'm not sure that I have cut enough stock for all the laths, in fact I'm sure I haven't, but I want to cut only what I need, so I'll do the rest when Ray comes over. For now, just as long as the membrane is secure, I'm happy.

Attachments

• P1040597.JPG
    P1040597.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 2,839
  • P1040598.JPG
    P1040598.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 2,839
Coming on well Steve, well done =D>

You could get six bunks in there if you had unexpected people to stay over Christmas and it would stop it blowing away :lol:

Regards Keith

Looking good Steve. Don't think I'd have the big log ramp though, maybe just keep the big ones at the bottom. :)

Very good.
No doors, no, but 3 lift-off covers. Ray just has green netting over the front of his, but I don't like the idea of it flapping about in the wind.

I am fascinated that you can get the membrane in this weather.
Not only would not be able to put it on but I would have to install roofing sheets immediately if I had succeeded.
Russell

Well it was tacked down top and bottom and today I put up the rest of the laths up. In the wrong place. I did put on the bottom row of half-slates and it was only then that I realised I'd nailed on the laths in the wrong place. I'd measured from the wrong end. But by then the rain was making it too unpleasant to work, so I came in, disgusted with myself for being so careless.
Unfortunately although tomorrow is set to be fine, Ray has other plans :(
S

Latest posts

Back