Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lurker":1uxljp6g said:
All the local cats are going to have a great time tonight in all that sand

Yes they will be laying lots of "cat eggs" just pop them somewhere warm and they will hatch into kittens.

Pete

My previous SCMS was the Bosch 10" jobbie and one of the best things I ever built was a fence. I could just dial the length I needed and it would come out right. But that fence had a bit of a flaw. I made it to have a T-slot in it, by laminating. Unfortunately I chose to laminate a 6mm layer of ply onto an 18mm piece of MDF. As well as the glue line being far from central, it was very susceptible to changes in temperature. It worked like a bimetallic strip. If I took it outside to work, it would bend like a banana.

So rather than have a T-slot in the front, I have made this stop to clamp over the top.

The challenge is to attach the fence to the saw in exactly the same place every time. I've done this by shaping the underside to it into the moulding of the machine.

I didn't take any WIP shots, I'm afraid, but here are some pics of the finished fence.

P1040040.JPG

P1040041.JPG

P1040042.JPG

P1040043.JPG

Attachments

• P1040040.JPG
    P1040040.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 898
  • P1040041.JPG
    P1040041.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 898
  • P1040042.JPG
    P1040042.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 898
  • P1040043.JPG
    P1040043.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 899
Ah ok, bit hard to see how it all fits together, and how those clamps at the back work. I was looking at doing something similar at the weekend, and decided I would attach fence to existing fence with bolts, and then put on fixed bolt at end and butt the jig up against that when installing, to ensure a simple repeated positioning. Seems much simpler.

BTW: nice plan, include all your shop projects in the workshop build to get this thread to 1000 pages! ;-)

Looks good steve, r.e. positioning of the fence each time you install it, could you just add a vertical mark on the back of the machine and the fence so that when they line up, you know your fence is bang on where it should be horizontally?

My previous fence was located onto the ali fence with a couple of dowels and a toggle clamp. But if I did that here, the new fence would have to be very high indeed, as the stop has to ride along the top. Hence removing the original fence.

My previous one had a T-slot along the front, so I didn't need clearance over the top for the stop.

As for horizotal positioning, I've shaped the bottom of the mounting block so that it can only go in one position.

wcndave":2jn825ke said:
BTW: nice plan, include all your shop projects in the workshop build to get this thread to 1000 pages! ;-)

Don't forget the landscaping of the garden :wink:

Maybe just change the title of the thread to "Steve's [insert as applicable]"

Mind you, I've also found building projects have a way of galvanising action all around the original intent. Something to do with momentum and the A to B comparison of the new thing next to the older things I think. Whenever I've finished having anything built, it always makes the thing next to it look tired and in need of redecorating/renewing/overhauling etc. That coupled with the momentum gained from many weeks of decisive action and you just get swept onto the next job. A very positive process in fact.

I am well aware that the patio project is a little Off Topic, but it is part of the bigger project.

I'm hoping to get the cladding done as soon as the patio is finished, not least because Ray is going on holiday and then I am (hoorah!), and after that we shall be autumn, as the summer will be over. Ha-ha.

Patio... Router table build, drill press table, cleaning machines, SCMS fences.... Just call the thread "Steve's", don't need any "insert here", saves space for the rest of us as well.

we can give it a name perhaps? Steve's...... Blog!

If I'd had any sense whatsoever I would have set up a proper blog and driven traffic to my website. But when I started, I never for one moment thought that it would grow to this.

Steve wrote, QUOTE: But when I started, I never for one moment thought that it would grow to this. UNQUOTE:

Now THAT rings a bell Steve :)

AES

Steve Maskery":3lw2jbhc said:
I am well aware that the patio project is a little Off Topic, but it is part of the bigger project.

Steve

My comment was only meant as light hearted banter. This thread started with the sentence "I've finally thrown off the cloak of lethargy and put on the mantle of let's get on with it."

Well, whether it is workshop, shop projects or patios its all good if it means that cloak of lethargy remains well and truly thrown off! :D

Terry.

monkeybiter":u0ib3sbt said:
Where are you going? BTW did I once see a youtube vid of you doing some volunteer work in Africa?

I have done a few NGO trips in the past. Mexico, Sierra Leone, Zambia. All very poor places for most of the population. But his is HOLIDAY. Apart from a few nights in Youth Hostels, I've not had a holiday for 6 years, not since my BXW left to join a religious community. So I'm really looking forward to this. I'm going to visit a friend whom I have never actually met. We speak on Skype every week and always end up laughing, so I hope we get on as well in the flesh, otherwise it's going to be a very long week, for him, anyway. You know what they say about visitors and fish...

My mate Bob is coming with me for the first leg (we are going to do New York, and then he comes back for a wedding) and I fly on. Can't wait. I can't afford it, not sustainably, but you are a long time dead.

Terry - no offence taken, not at all.

We started this morning by setting out our first line for the blocks. We'd already marked our string position, so it was easy to set up and we put some boards on the sand so as not to disturb it any more than is absolutely necessary.

P1040046.JPG

Then we started on the blocks, but something wasn't right

P1040048.JPG

We'd got them the wrong way round. So once we'd set the direction correctly, it was plain sailing.

P1040049.JPG

But we had two jobs to do today, the blocks at the back and the edging strips at the front. So once we knew we had it set up for the main blocking, we went out front. A bit of a mix

P1040050.JPG

And we laid the concrete edging out to string lines. There is a bit of a problem. We can have it all square to the house, or we can have it from the gate to the front door, but unfortunately we can't have both, they are a few inches out of alignment. We started out square and ended up gate to door.

P1040055.JPG

P1040057.JPG

I'll leave it a few days before I do any more there, it wouldn't take much to disturb those curbs.

So back to the back. There is an area that needs whackering before we sand and apparently it is easier to do that when it is wet.

P1040059.JPG

P1040061.JPG

So we are ready for Friday. There is an early delivery of blocks and sand and my neighbour has very kindly agreed to leave his car on the road on Friday night if we don't shift all the blocks. But we have made a good start, and I have also had a bit of a tidy-up in the workshop, found new homes for things, chucked out some junk and generally been quite productive. Productive for Steve, anyway.

P1040062.JPG

P1040063.JPG

I wouldn't necessarily have chosen these blocks, they are a bit in-yer-face red, but anything else would have cost me twice as much.

Attachments

• P1040046.JPG
    P1040046.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,089
  • P1040048.JPG
    P1040048.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 1,089
  • P1040049.JPG
    P1040049.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 1,089
  • P1040050.JPG
    P1040050.JPG