Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't expecting Ray to come this week, but yesterday I learned that he planned to come over. Although the only big job left is the external boarding, and it's still too cold at nights to have a decent stretch to install it, there are other loose ends.

So we put back the bottom piece of cladding at the front, which we'd had to remove to fit the block paving and there was also the issue of the black paving at the very back, where it steps down.

We also planned to remove a lot of the decking around the log cabin. It's in a pretty poor condition,

P1030888.JPG

but I still had a couple of large machines in there which need a ramp to remove them. So we brought down what's left of my spindle moulder, a cabinet on wheels and my drum sander.

The drum sander, whilst fairly scruffy after its ordeal, is at least, intact.

P1030885.JPG

The drive bed is filthy, mind, and the machine is generally covered in guano and such, but it will clean up OK, I'm sure. The bed comes up fine with a spray of Flash and a kitchen scrubbing brush.

P1030884.JPG

So whilst I was doing that (actually I was simply keeping out of the way, because) Ray was doing this

P1030886.JPG

cutting and fitting blocks to finish off the steps at the back. This is the layout, he's not finished it at this point!

P1030887.JPG

There is a step down of about 220mm. That is how much we have had to build up overall.

Then I started to rip up the decking and remove the screws

P1030889.JPG

and when Ray had finished the steps, he took over the demolition

P1030891.JPG

By this time it was nearly 4pm and was feeling distinctly unwell. The combination of weird eyesight (no, my new contact lens did not arrive today :( ) and more sun that we've had this year, is not a good combo. I was not firing on all cylinders.

So when Ray went I couldn't face clearing up, I'll do it tomorrow.

P1030892.JPG

so I lay down in a dark room for an hour or so and now feel a lot better. It's kyboshed my planned evening of sausage-making though, I have a new recipe I want to try as well as some proper hog casings.

Attachments

• P1030885.JPG
    P1030885.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,600
  • P1030884.JPG
    P1030884.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,600
  • P1030886.JPG
    P1030886.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 1,600
  • P1030887.JPG
    P1030887.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 1,600
  • P1030888.JPG
    P1030888.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 1,599
  • P1030889.JPG
    P1030889.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 1,600
  • P1030891.JPG
    P1030891.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 1,600
  • P1030892.JPG
    P1030892.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 1,599
Has a post gone missing? I had the usual email but denied access through the usual route.

Mod Edit:- a lot of Non Topic related posts were moved to save cluttering up the OP's thread.

The day did not start well.

I woke thinking that I wished Ray wasn't coming today. The last few days I've not been on top form.

But fortunately he was a bit late, by which time I had my boots on, even if my brain was still on standby.

The problem is that I'd not done much since Ray was last here. My new contact lens didn't arrive until Saturday, then the weather was lousy, then I went to visit my ailing mum, then my car went in for MOT and failed, then, then, then. I was full of excuses. But Ray was frustrated, so we had a bit of oil-on-water to be doing.

Anyway, once we got on an even keel again, we set to. All the gravel that was here by the back door

P1030897.JPG

is now here at the front

P1030898.JPG

We set out some levels. The problem is that the gateway entrance is not level and falls in the wrong direction, as does the old concrete by the house. The previous patio was a dish, it flooded when when it rained, it didn't drain, and just became a mud pond. We need to get the levels better than that. But we also have to take into account what passes for a damp-proof course in this old house.

P1030894.JPG

So once we had figured out how best to do this, we set up some markers and string and Ray mattocked and spaded, whilst I wheelbarrowed.

P1030893.JPG

P1030896.JPG

We shifted a good couple of cubic metres

P1030895.JPG

The place makes Steptoe's yard look like Kew. The front is starting to look as scruffy as the back and I hate it.

Anyway, I've promised Ray that that last bit of digging out will be done before he comes again. I just need to "get my finger out" as he put it. :(

Attachments

• P1030897.JPG
    P1030897.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 1,255
  • P1030898.JPG
    P1030898.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 1,254
  • P1030894.JPG
    P1030894.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,255
  • P1030893.JPG
    P1030893.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 1,255
  • P1030896.JPG
    P1030896.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 1,255
  • P1030895.JPG
    P1030895.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 1,255
Ray sounds a bit like my dad. He just doesn't understand how people can't keep going, and going, and going, just like he can. He then gets frustrated!

If it makes you feel any better I "finished" my shed early in 2011 and the driveway is still bare compacted earth that forms great big puddles every time it rains. I do have a slight excuse in that we have had two kids in that time.
The muddy puddle will be transformed soon though as my wife announced I had to go and collect 600 granite setts last month. She didn't realise our estate car would only take 50 at a time before the suspension was creaking. It took me 2 weeks of collecting a car load every night after work before I got them all. Luckily the folks we bought them off were very understanding and just glad that they were dissapearing! I keep meaning to borrow a gieger counter from work to see if there is any substantial radiation coming from the granite monolith that is now in our garden!

Just keep gently at it and all the hard work will soon be over.

H.

A week since Ray was last with you Steve, based on posts anyway. Is he coming this week, and dare I ask if the digging has been finished?

Terry.

Yes, he should be here shortly. And yes, I have "got my finger out", as he put it. That last patch up to the ivy has been dug out, the ivy has been cut back and taken to the tip, a fair bit of the rubble has also gone to the tip, and the patch that used to be the raised bed in the shade, by the gates, has been cleared of weeds and dug out a bit. It needs a bit more and I'm just putting my boots on now.

Steve Maskery":er8eeg88 said:
Yes, he should be here shortly. And yes, I have "got my finger out", as he put it. That last patch up to the ivy has been dug out, the ivy has been cut back and taken to the tip, a fair bit of the rubble has also gone to the tip, and the patch that used to be the raised bed in the shade, by the gates, has been cleared of weeds and dug out a bit. It needs a bit more and I'm just putting my boots on now.

Sounds like a fair bit more than a fingers worth of effort Steve, no need for any frosty silences this morning :D . Hope the sun is shining with you as it is here, so you can get plenty more done today.

Terry.

Well you might not think so to look at the place, but we have done quite a lot today.

First I toddled off and borrowed Alan's Hilti again, which is a real effort-saver and started to dig out the concrete that had supported the edging of the old patio. I'd already cleared the raised bed of the triffids and Ray started to clear out the boundary line.

P1030906.JPG

P1030902.JPG

P1030904.JPG

With the boundary line clear we set a block at where we thought it should end up and checked that we had a slope. We do, it's about 1:100 away from the house.

P1030903.JPG

Up at the house end, the services look a bit of a mess, but we can tidy them up quite a bit, we think.

P1030905.JPG

So we carried on like this all day. Once we had a pile of broken concrete, Ray carried on digging it out whilst I started to take it to the tip. I've made 9 trips today. Goodness knows how many tons of rubble I've lifted and chucked, I'll swear my arms are 2" longer than they were this morning.

Another bit of good today. Martin, my plumber friend, rang to ask if I had any OSB left over. So he turned up with a mate at tea-time and shifted all the 18mm offcuts from when I did Mum's garage roof a couple of months ago, as well as all of that 11mm that came with the trusses. It's metric and doesn't fit my 2ft layout. I have just one sheet left which will make a tool-board behind my bench and so now I have much better access to the far corner. It means I can now finish off the skirting behind there. I still have 2 full sheets of the 18mm stuff, but Ray reckons we'll need them the do the patio. So I'm a happy bunny, got rid of stuff that was in the way and even got paid (a bit) for it. Win-win.

P1030907.JPG

So I am pleasantly knackered. We still have quite a bit to dig out, both because the patio will be a tad lower at the garden end than the old one was, and because these blocks are 65mm rather than 50mm. But it has been very productive, and best of all, harmony is restored.

Attachments

• P1030902.JPG
    P1030902.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,009
  • P1030903.JPG
    P1030903.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • P1030904.JPG
    P1030904.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,009
  • P1030905.JPG
    P1030905.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • P1030907.JPG
    P1030907.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 1,009
  • P1030906.JPG
    P1030906.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 1,009
Steve, some form of bench over those services would tidy them up, you could sit with a G&T admiring your work.
Its looking good now Steve!

Pete

Speedo turned to 6000 on that post, glad it was a reply to you Steve :D

Racers":3qagtwc9 said:
Steve, some form of bench over those services would tidy them up, you could sit with a G&T admiring your work.

Hi Pete
TBH I shall probably just keep the bins there. It never ever gets any sun there and though I'm rather photophobic, hence the permanent shades, I do like to sit in the sun. I was thinking of building a Lutyens bench for the Esplanade, but have come to the conclusion that it is a triumph of style over comfort. And as you say, the Nice View is in the other direction.

Racers":3qagtwc9 said:
Speedo turned to 6000 on that post, glad it was a reply to you Steve :D

Congratulations! But you still have a way to go to catch me up, matey! :)

Yes, poo. Twice in one day.

The first was the discovery that the soil pipe from the log cabin is just an inch or so below the sand

P1030908.JPG

We are trying to lower the patio level to improve watershed. I hope Ray has some ideas, because I don't.

I spent the morning digging out more concrete and taking it to the tip. It was whilst doing this that I discovered the not-very-subterranean soil pipe.

When the rain started this afternoon I retreated to the workshop and did some clearing up. At one point I thought I heard something behind me, but when I turned, there was no-one there. But then, a second time, there was a definite flurry. I turned to see a pigeon wandering about as if he owned the place. He must have got in this morning when I left the door open. So I opened the door and turned the lights out, hoping he would aim for the light. He did, and promptly banged his head on the window. So there I was, chasing this pesky bird about my workshop with a stick, and said bird refusing to take the obvious way out, which would be best for both of us.

Eventually he did leave, and left me with some cleaning up to do, on some wood, the floor and my TS. Actually the patch on the TS is the cleanest part of it. I recommend pigeon poo as a TS restorer.

I wonder if the forum software will parse "poo" intact, or will it come out as "pineapple"?

So yes, poo-poo. Or should that be pineapple-pineapple?

Attachments

• P1030908.JPG
    P1030908.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 838
Pigeon poo is mildy acidic, hence why the faces of most gargoyles and fine details on limestone buildings have all been melted off. (well that and acid rain)

I can just imagine you and pigeon "go to the light... *bang* no, through the doorway!" made me laugh.

Ray's been today. We did a bit last week as well, but that was same-old-same-old, digging out and tipping. We were supposed to e doing Thursday as well, but I started the day at 5am in excruciating pain and spent the rest of the day in A&E. It was another kidney stone attack, so at least I knew what it was. However, since then I've felt better than for a long time. I've even summoned up the energy to do my accounts. Go figure.

So today we spent the morning getting our levels right. Now didn't we do that twice before? Yes we did, but this time it was to get fixed datum points. We have worked out we can accommodate the soil pipe - just - and still have a fall in the right direction. But it is not straightforward. For a start, the concrete driveway, where it meets my back yard, i.e. the gate-line, has a significant fall on it TOWARDS the house, not away from it. So we have decided to set out the 1:100 fall from everywhere we can to the far RH corner. We think that will work.

So we set a string line line down the boundary (the fence itself is a few inches over to the neighbours' side, which is as it should be - I just wish the triffid ivy knew that), and then checked that it was square to the house, which will make laying the blocks easier. It was spot on.

P1030921.JPG

So Ray reminded me how to mix cement

P1030923.JPG

And he started to lay a foundation layer of old bricks, with the new blocks up to the string. I kept him fed with mortar, blocks and coffee.

P1030924.JPG

P1030925.JPG

P1030926.JPG

So this afternoon we got the outer row down the fence and almost across the conservatory. Ray grumbled that 54 blocks was not much to show for a day's work, and what was going to be a 2-day job will now be a 4-day job. But at least they are 54 blocks in the right place and quite frankly it is a relief to have stuff going down instead of always coming up.

So I followed Ray back home, dumping 8 bags of rubble to the tip on the way, and returning with another 80 blocks in the back of my car waiting to be unloaded. They can wait until tomorrow, now.

Attachments

• P1030921.JPG
    P1030921.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 1,255
  • P1030923.JPG
    P1030923.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,256
  • P1030924.JPG
    P1030924.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 1,255
  • P1030925.JPG
    P1030925.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 1,256
  • P1030926.JPG
    P1030926.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 1,256
It's turned into a bit of a slog and endurance test towards the end Steve, but you're getting there, and it will be a "proper job" you can be proud of when you're done :)

Cheers, Paul

Mcluma":37gx25oi said:
What is it with all these pallets in your garden?

I put them down when the blocks came up so that I could get to the washing line without treading in the sand too much. Vain hope. There is sand all over the house. I even found some on my bedroom carpet, and although I do have many bad habit, going to bed with my boots on isn't one of them.
As soon as the patio is down I shall make a wood store and all the wood in the garden will be chopped and stacked ready for the winter.

Back