Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":7muh1s5p said:
Quite, Pete, quite. After a couple of weeks it won't make the slightest bit of difference.
When are you coming over?

I will try and get over at the weekend, will bring jam.

Pete

We've had a long but very fruitful day, we've laid twice as much as we did yesterday.

The first task was to move some stuff about. In my old workshop my TS was on a mobile base, which made moving it easy, but it did compromise its stability. It would wobble, not because the saw is flimsy, it isn't at all, but because the mobile base was.Here I've had it on a second piece of OSB. It's rock steady now but difficult to move. We lifted it onto some steel pipes and rolled it away from where we needed to work

P1030271.JPG

Then we carried on from where we left off. We'd completed just past the double doors and I've realised that I've not shown you how we notched them

P1030272.JPG

P1030273.JPG

When we got to the floor electrics, we had to disconnect the floor sockets and drill a hole through which we could feed the cables

P1030274.JPG

and then reconnect. If I'd got my finger out and made the power tower we could have installed that at the same time. I cut the plywood for it weeks ago and have not got round to gluing it together. So I still have trailing sockets.

P1030275.JPG

Attachments

• P1030271.JPG
    P1030271.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 1,404
  • P1030272.JPG
    P1030272.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 1,404
  • P1030273.JPG
    P1030273.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 1,403
  • P1030274.JPG
    P1030274.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 1,404
  • P1030275.JPG
    P1030275.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 1,404
So that held us up for a little while, but after that it was plain sailing for the next few rows.

Some of boards were not very flat. You can see how this end is kicked up. I think it must be due to the polyurethane coating being on only one side of the board.

P1030276.JPG

As we got closer to the wall we had to work backwards, which was a bit awkward, really

P1030277.JPG

As we got to the very back row, we had to rip the boards to width, being careful to measure from the top face, not from the very edge of the tongue.

P1030279.JPG

Sawing was getting more and more difficult, and I put this down to the blade getting blunt. This chipboard really takes it out of them. But it was not only that, look how the kerf has closed up behind the blade. Now tell me that a riving knife is optional.

P1030281.JPG

The very last piece is the most problematic, as there is nowhere to start from We ended up trimming the tongues by about 50% Then, when we did finally get it dropped in we couldn't get it out again, so we just got it as open as we could, squirted in some glue and tightened it up again.

P1030282.JPG

P1030283.JPG

And so, after a long day, we could stand back and admire our work.

P1030284.JPG

I'm really pleased with it, it's lovely to walk on. It's not as harsh as the concrete floor I had before. That was always a regret of mine. It doesn't bounce, but it feels more like a sprung dance floor, only non-slip. Assuming I can tidy up the joints with grout, and I'm pretty sure I can, I think it will prove to have been an excellent choice.

The other satisfying thing is that we ordered exactly the right number of boards. I have about 2/3 of one left and a handful of small scraps that are not big enough for anything. And although 3 of the boards were slightly damaged in transit, we wangled it so that the damaged bits were all part of that small bit of waste. Very nicely efficient.

So tomorrow I need to go shopping for grout, skirting, matching, some screws, mastic, guttering.........

Attachments

• P1030276.JPG
    P1030276.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,393
  • P1030277.JPG
    P1030277.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,393
  • P1030279.JPG
    P1030279.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 1,393
  • P1030281.JPG
    P1030281.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 1,392
  • P1030282.JPG
    P1030282.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 1,393
  • P1030283.JPG
    P1030283.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,392
  • P1030284.JPG
    P1030284.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,393
Floor looks good Steve. I used regular chipboard flooring on mine so will have to paint it afterwards.

If this sounds like a daft question then I apologise in advance, but why the glue. Surely the boards will keep themselves together if they are a good fit at the walls.

regards

Brian

It's not a daft q Brian.
The boards must not be a good fit at the walls, I am supposed to have an expansion gap. OK chipboard does no move much, but it does move, as you can see from the kerf picture. So there is 10mm or so clear all around, which will be covered by skirting. If you have no expansion gap, then if it does expand, it will simply dome, and I have seen floors to which that has happened.
S

In what way, Mike? The floor sockets are not actually in the floor itself. The cables come up through the floor and will be mounted on a tower about 18" or so high. The 32A one for the TS and a double socket for the P/T and DX. I might add an extra double later if I need it. As I say, I cut the pieces weeks ago and just haven't got round to biscuiting them together.
That tower will then be screwed to the floor and I won't have to get on my knees to disconnect anything.
Talking of knees, this flooring job is knackering on them. I have a very good piece of closed-cell foam which makes it more bearable, but it really is crippling. Strangely, the worst one is not the one I damaged when I fell, it's the other one. But I definitely don't like having to get down.
In contrast, Ray is down and up like the proverbial.

Steve Maskery":29zmmhw0 said:
It's not a daft q Brian.
The boards must not be a good fit at the walls, I am supposed to have an expansion gap. OK chipboard does no move much, but it does move, as you can see from the kerf picture. So there is 10mm or so clear all around, which will be covered by skirting. If you have no expansion gap, then if it does expand, it will simply dome, and I have seen floors to which that has happened.
S

Ah. I see now. I have left a small gap around the edges on mine but have not glued the boards together so it will be interesting to see if they part over time.

regards

Brian

Steve Maskery":29uvuymi said:
In what way, Mike?.......................That tower will then be screwed to the floor

I wasn't sure if anything was going to be fixed to both the finish floor and the layer between it, sounds like it will only be finished to the finish floor so clearly immune.
Looking peerless now for an 'amateur' workspace. :mrgreen:

Well the day started with a visit to the Practice Nurse for an annual blood check. She told me I needed to lose weight and drink less. Tell me something I don't know.

Then I spent an hour doing woodwork. Well actually it was just ripping some 6x2s down into 10mm square beading for Ray, but it was cutting wood, using my tablesaw and most of all it SMELLED like I was doing woodwork. I miss my kickstop board. I broke the red hand when I took it to the barn. It was also mounted on the mobile base, rather than on the saw itself., so I shall have to fix all that. It's such a useful gadget.

Then it was on to the build.

Having fixed the P/T drive belt I could now fix some beading around the inside of the door cavity.

P1030285.JPG

I used an electric nailer for the job. It's a Rapesco. It is, by far, the worst power tool I have ever wasted my money on. I'd forgotten just how awful it is. Anyone want to buy it of me? It's excellent. :---) What is the point if half the time it misfires, half the time the nails are 6mm proud and the other half the time the firing pin damages the workpiece, even with the soft nose fitted? It's truly awful.

Ray had given me some polystyrene foam, which I thought was 20mm. It isn't ,it is 25mm and thus is proud of the door cavity. But I had a small piece of the 100mm Xtrathem from doing the walls, so I ripped that into 20mm pieces and started the patchwork.

P1030286.JPG

There wasn't enough of that, but I also had a couple of even smaller pieces of Recticel, which is the same sort of stuff and continued with that. But would you Adam and Eve it, I was just a few square inches short.

P1030287.JPG

The I remembered something. I'd bought a coathook, but if I want to screw that to the door, it would have to be quite low to catch the brace. So I cut a piece of flooring and replaced a section of foam with that.

P1030289.JPG

So then I could cut the matching. I managed to cock up the measurements, not once but twice, one on length (how can it be 6mm too short when you've got a stop set?) and once on the width. Remember whether you are cutting off the tongue or the groove, Steve, you plonker. As it happened I had just enough spare to complete the job. So after setting all the nails and attaching the hook

P1030294.JPG

it looks like this:

P1030295.JPG

If I'd had my router table set up, I could have bevelled the ends and edges where they meet the rest of the door. It would have made a nicer job, but I haven't and I didn't. But it's neat enough.

Attachments

• P1030285.JPG
    P1030285.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,138
  • P1030286.JPG
    P1030286.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 1,139
  • P1030287.JPG
    P1030287.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 1,139
  • P1030289.JPG
    P1030289.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,139
  • P1030294.JPG
    P1030294.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 1,139
  • P1030295.JPG
    P1030295.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,139
I visited the Cathedral of woodwork on Sunday its huge!

That's taken with a 17mm lens and I still couldn't get it all in!

Steve and Ray have been very busy and done a cracking job.
I like the flooring it feels very nice to walk on should not tire your legs out.

Nice work on the door but you will be losing all the light through the knots!

Pete

Wow, Pete's photo makes it look even bigger that I thought it was. Amazing space.

Mark

Somone mentioned a aircraft hanger you could get a harrier in there hey fabulous workplace wonder how long it will be before u outgrow it thats what happens to most of us , what a great construction very well done will keep watching your thread

Latest posts

Back