Steve Maskery computer problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Steve is having difficulty accessing UKW. I've tried helping but have now reached my knowledge limit and so if anyone else can suggest what might be wrong or an approach to follow then Steve would be very grateful!

Here is a tracert from his computer...

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to www.ukworkshop.co.uk (31.193.142.198), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 201.201 ms 3.289 ms 3.914 ms
2 10.77.128.1 (10.77.128.1) 9.516 ms 10.482 ms 10.914 ms
3 nott-core-2a-xe-200-0.network.virginmedia.net (80.1.79.253) 8.366 ms 8.530 ms 8.608 ms
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 nrth-bb-1c-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.254.42.222) 18.350 ms 48.818 ms 15.845 ms
7 tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.174.18) 14.932 ms 15.445 ms 15.920 ms
8 the-linx.as29550.net (195.66.224.223) 16.567 ms 15.549 ms 15.816 ms
9 ae1-cr0.rdg.as29550.net (91.186.5.250) 28.319 ms 18.509 ms 35.535 ms
10 213.229.85.162 (213.229.85.162) 17.026 ms 20.673 ms 20.111 ms
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 *

which suggests that DNS lookups are OK...just that it is failing to get through after line 10.

The strange thing is that when I do a tracert to UKW from my Mac then it goes through both nodes at line 9 and line 10 and then onto UKW.

He has cleared browser cache.

Perplexed.

You can eliminate the DNS by putting the IP address directly in to the web browser but as you say, it looks like it's resolving the correct IP address anyway.

It might be a routing issue with the ISP. Check their network status page for issues in your area. If there are other Virgin media users, perhaps they can check to see if they are getting the same problem? But if they are, they wouldn't be reading this! ;-)

The logs show Steve as having logged in at Last visited: 30 Dec 2015, 11:27

CHJ":381yady7 said:
The logs show Steve as having logged in at Last visited: 30 Dec 2015, 11:27

He will have done that using his mobile.

Paul Hannaby":381yady7 said:
You can eliminate the DNS by putting the IP address directly in to the web browser but as you say, it looks like it's resolving the correct IP address anyway.

It might be a routing issue with the ISP. Check their network status page for issues in your area. If there are other Virgin media users, perhaps they can check to see if they are getting the same problem? But if they are, they wouldn't be reading this! ;-)

It is a routing issue, I think, but where is it going wrong. If I am reading the tracert correctly then it has gone through Virgin's empire and passed onto lines 9 and 10...

Hi folks
Thank you for your input. I can get in like this using a proxy server. The site doesn't behave in quite the same way, but it is useable.
I've just been on to Virgin and they reckon that my IP address is blocked at the host end. That would explain things. My bigger problem is my own site, workshopessentials.com, and my email, are also on this same server, so I can't get in to them either. I'm having to use gmail for everything, or use my phone on 3g.

Chas, can you check if my IP has accidentally been blocked, please?

Many thanks.

Steve Maskery":1doqc7mz said:
Chas, can you check if my IP has accidentally been blocked, please?

Many thanks.

No Block in place for that range.

Steve I am presuming nothing has changed at your end since this last worked ? I mean nothing. Same router, not restarted, same computer same configuration.

This proxy server, is it out there on the net or is in your side of your router ? and have you configured your browser/computer to use it ? How ?

I will ask cos no one else has.
Have you rebooted the pc and the router. First steps with internet issues - turn it off and back on again.
and I know some will be saying 'but other sites are ok' , still reboot it .

trace.jpg

Attachments

• trace.jpg
    trace.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 844
I was changing 1 password on 1 email account when I noticed things not working. That should not affect me surfing.
It's an iMac not a PC. Yes I have shut everything down, waited (several hours, actually) and then rebooted. My iMac and my phone behave in the same way.
The proxy server is out there on the web.

I've just got back to Virgin, who say there is nothing that they can do! Apparently my IP address is due to be renewed on Saturday, so perhaps this problem will go away then. It does sound as if my IP is being blocked somewhere, but if not on Charley's server, then where? And why? I've not been doing anything dodgy. Honest, guv.
NVM (Nice Virgin Man) suggested I use UltraSurf for now, but that is for PC only.

I do have a PC, but I don't like connecting it to the internet as it is a WinXP machine and therefore a bit vulnerable these days.

When you say your " iMac and my phone behave in the same way", is the phone on 3G or WiFi via your modem/router ?

Steve Maskery":2xop12go said:
What does that tell me Chas? I've no idea what it means. Roger will have a better idea.
As far as I know it tells me it's a Virgin IP and I read it as the fact that Virgin can't access it.

Steve Maskery":2xop12go said:
Hi folks
I've just been on to Virgin and they reckon that my IP address is blocked at the host end. That would explain things. My bigger problem is my own site, workshopessentials.com, and my email, are also on this same server, so I can't get in to them either.

It could be that particular Virgin IP has been blocked by a spam listing filter somewhere, I'll see if I can find a listing.
You have had many other Virgin IP's in the past.

if you've got an IP in a blocked range, and if you have a dynamic IP, then restarting your modem/router may cause you to get an IP that is not blocked. A suggest getting onto a Virgin users forum and asking there, some other users might be suffering same problems and may have found a workaround/solution

mseries":2ahvl9uu said:
When you say your " iMac and my phone behave in the same way", is the phone on 3G or WiFi via your modem/router ?

I mean both can access UKW and WE.com as long as they are not connecting through the SuperHub. Phone via 3G, Mac via proxy or tethered to my phone.

Both Mac and Phone fail when they are using my home wifi.

NVM suggested connecting with an ethernet cable and using the hub in modem mode but I can't find a cable long enough.

<Peter Kaye>The cables I've had in this house! The cables I've had in this house! </Peter Kaye>

Back