Stenner BOE-30 Bandsaw a rare machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camoz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a bit of a Stenner fanatic (the earlier circa 1955 stuff, I don't have room for the new stuff :D ), I already have a Stenner ABM table saw and a Stenner MAE Spindle Moulder restoration-of-a-stenner-abm-18-table-saw-t63800.html both of these and the BOE-30 Bandsaw can be seen a 1955 catalogue that the guys at the current Stenner company were kind enough to supply me with a copy of.

Page2.jpg
Page3.jpg
Page4.jpg

I was made aware of this bandsaw being for sale on the ebay.uk (obviously a bit far away or I would have been all over it). I thought it was worth posting here for anyone interested.

This is the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bandsaw-stenn ... 23&afsrc=1

and these are some pictures of it (for when the link ultimately dies):

BOA 30 bandsaw1.jpg

BOA 30 bandsaw2.jpg

BOA 30 bandsaw3.jpg

Unfortunately no photos of the back or with the door open (I have sent a message the buyer, but it looks like it could be a business, so possibly too busy to deal with a crazy guy like me :D )

To me it has many similarities to the Wadkin DR. I would love to see photos of the back and with the door open, and the plate showing the serial number etc. so if someone is interested in it and close to it, and goes and has a look (please, please, please take a camera and take heaps of photos :mrgreen: )

Cheers,

Camo

P.S. If anyone has any information on the history of Stenner of Tiverton, old catalogues, a manual for the stenner ABM table saw (I wish), please let me know, I would love to hear from you.

Attachments

• Page2.jpg
    Page2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 201
  • Page3.jpg
    Page3.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Page4.jpg
    Page4.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 202
  • BOA 30 bandsaw1.jpg
    BOA 30 bandsaw1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 202
  • BOA 30 bandsaw2.jpg
    BOA 30 bandsaw2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 202
  • BOA 30 bandsaw3.jpg
    BOA 30 bandsaw3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 202
colinc":2jj0u7pv said:
Hi,

we have one of these Stenner saws in our workshop, there are a couple of pictures in an old post here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/bandsaw-resaw-help-t47223-15.html?hilit=bandsaw

It goes without saying that it can tackle the big jobs without struggling.

regards,

Colin

Colin,

You have made my day!!!!, although I must admit you have also taken about an hour out of it, with me looking through your restoration page :mrgreen:

That looks like a really nice example, and I am glad it is up to the challenge, I am very jealous. If you get a chance (and no big hurry), I would love to see some more pictures of the machine, I am trying to gather as much information as I can about these machines and Stenner during this short window of time when they produced these machines.

If you could be kind enough to do so the areas of the machine that I would like to document are the rear of the machine especially the motor and brake area, the top rear showing the tilt and tension adjustment, the front top and bottom wheels, and the top and bottom guide assembly, and table tilt assembly, OK basically everything :D .

If it is easier for you I have created an email address:

[email protected] (I know I have reached a new level of obsession)!

and of cause anyone else with any related information can send things to this address as well.

Would you mind me posting the pictures from your thread on the Canadian and Australian forums (I will of cause put a link to your thread and give you credit).

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I can't believe I haven't come across your thread before.

Cheers,

Camo

Hi,

it's no problem to get you photos and feel free to repost wherever you want, just do us a favour and mention them in the context of the Comet project as we are keen to raise awareness, because the day will come when we need to start finding some sponsors who will help us finish and operate it. As you will no doubt have realised, these aircraft are of historical significance to Australian aviation too, although this one didn't get there (on the first attempt in 1934 at least!!!).

We are about to fit a feeder mechanism that we have adapted to work on the bandsaw in order to try to get the cleanest kerf we can (before anyone says it, it is running a Tuffsaws blade). However hard you try with the big baulks it is hard to feed the wood consistently by hand so the kerf can get a bit ragged. We also need to devise a roller or low friction fence to work with it.

The next big task is to cut laminations for the Comet rear wing spars which are actually curved at the root so will be laid up around a former (each is 22ft long). My understanding is that De-Havilland devised a way with Mosquito spars of getting saw cuts that were clean enough to glue together without further machining, so reducing wastage of what was then a strategically important material, and is now very rare in the right quality. I am hoping that we can do the same as planing does create a lot of waste.

Here are some photos of Martin and I cutting some 1/2" laminations off a 24ft long 8" x 2" baulk of Sitka Spruce, you can see from my red face that I was pushing hard:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44406692@N08/sets/72157625806922313/

regards,

Colin

Colin,

Very excited, can't wait to see all the parts of this machine (those shots of you cutting the Sitka Spruce, were a real tease :D).

I really admire the work you guys are doing, and would consider it an honour to do my small part in spreading the word!!

Thanks,

Camo

colinc":33qew85y said:
We are about to fit a feeder mechanism that we have adapted to work on the bandsaw in order to try to get the cleanest kerf we can (before anyone says it, it is running a Tuffsaws blade). However hard you try with the big baulks it is hard to feed the wood consistently by hand so the kerf can get a bit ragged. We also need to devise a roller or low friction fence to work with it.

That is very interesting to hear, I'm used to using band re-saws (Stenner's too, funnily enough) and I've never understood why roller fences and power feeds aren't available as after market accessories for normal bandsaws; I'd love to see how you've build yours.

Latest posts

Back