Steel strips from plate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gilbow snips will cut it then dress it flat. Bacho pass through Universal's will do the job as well with less dressing.
Tony
Thanks! Though I've decided to go the model engineering route, I'm still interested in the impressive range of answers!
Gilbow seems to make quite a few snips('s?). Was there one in particular you meant? I'd also be interested in how they do the dressing!
G.

Hi - for a project, I need possibly a few dozen steel strips, say 1.5mm × 5or6mm x 200mm.
I can't find anything on ebay, but there are plenty of sheets of that thickness.

Does anyone have an idea for turning a sheet into strips?

I've a feeling a bandsaw might cope with that thickness (at the cost of a new blade!), but it wouldn't be exactly precise - almost certainly wobbly as anything, especially after the first one.

If it was aluminium I might try just scoring a line then bending in a vice, but I don't think steel (probly mild) would be amenable to being scored.

As always, it's the little things that you don't think of at first that block the road!
Thanks,

PS: I suppose I *could* use aluminum, but I'd prefer steel.
Hi how are you getting on with it? Ive a Tungsten Carbide bladed cut off saw(Looks like a chop saw)which should do 200mm strips it has a 300mm blade.
Also various angle grinders from 5" to 9" plus a king size dremel. also have various snips.
I'm up/down road/around corner from you in Bethnal Green

Thanks for the thought, but 1.5 is much less bendy, and I don't get to Grays, my hometown, as much as I used to. Besides, on the way I'd have to go past Brundles Treasure House of Metal, and I don't trust myself! Cheers a lot though.

Used to have the Gaff in Hackney road Not far from Cambridge Heath road junction that stocked all sorts of gear lot's was for truck trimming latches/hinges/shackles and more plus all types of metals.

Used to have the Gaff in Hackney road Not far from Cambridge Heath road junction that stocked all sorts of gear lot's was for truck trimming latches/hinges/shackles and more plus all types of metals.
Yeah, was that Clark's? One of the jewels of the area, but obviously it's much more necessary that it be a coffee shop instead.
(Until the owners can wangle a Change of Use and make a fortune turning it into flats, the new occupants of which will complain that there aren't any traditional businesses left.)

Can you get small angle grinders? I'll have a look... I think eg a Dremel would be too slow, but otoh I guess it would only have to go ½-way through for the metal to be bend-and-break-able?
Thanks,
4.5" angle grinder with a 1mm thick blade and use a bit of wood for a fence. to cut along, minimal finishing.

Somehow I missed this thread... did you get sorted? I've got a light gauge sheet metal shop at work - can work up to 3mm comfortably. PM me if you still need bits cutting and I'll see if I can help.

Somehow I missed this thread... did you get sorted? I've got a light gauge sheet metal shop at work - can work up to 3mm comfortably. PM me if you still need bits cutting and I'll see if I can help.
Ok, thanks. I've gone off in a slightly different direction now, but I will bear that in mind, likewise all the other helpful/informed ideas.

Latest posts

Back