Steel strips from plate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - for a project, I need possibly a few dozen steel strips, say 1.5mm × 5or6mm x 200mm.
I can't find anything on ebay, but there are plenty of sheets of that thickness.

Does anyone have an idea for turning a sheet into strips?

I've a feeling a bandsaw might cope with that thickness (at the cost of a new blade!), but it wouldn't be exactly precise - almost certainly wobbly as anything, especially after the first one.

If it was aluminium I might try just scoring a line then bending in a vice, but I don't think steel (probly mild) would be amenable to being scored.

As always, it's the little things that you don't think of at first that block the road!
Thanks,

PS: I suppose I *could* use aluminum, but I'd prefer steel.

Can you get small angle grinders? I'll have a look... I think eg a Dremel would be too slow, but otoh I guess it would only have to go ½-way through for the metal to be bend-and-break-able?
Thanks,
I was thinking of about 4-5" for the angle grinder. There are some very cheap options available. They are a very versatile tool, I seem to have acquired a few. The thin blades are about 1.5 mm but can break easily if you abuse them. It should have no problem cutting 1.5 mm sheet quickly.

I was thinking of about 4-5" for the angle grinder. There are some very cheap options available. They are a very versatile tool, I seem to have acquired a few. The thin blades are about 1.5 mm but can break easily if you abuse them. It should have no problem cutting 1.5 mm sheet quickly.
Would that not be a bit difficult to pass down a line fairly accurately, even with a wood guide? (Also I'd be afraid of it jumping at me!) I thought you meant something about the size of a 5" or 6" plane, with the wheel coming out beneath, which would be ideal... I have a Ruyika "hand" circular saw, 54.8x11.1 blades, which would be a kind of in-between option, but alas it seems the only blades you can get for it are the three that came with it!, none of which are for cutting metal. A lesson there!

Now we're talking! I didn't think of a model engineering supplier! Just the job, I think. Thanks!!

And take the opportunity if using the one suggested above to buy the 2 foot lengths they offer as you will get three pieces at 200mm out of each one.

You will not use the material as efficiently if you choose 1 foot or 3 foot lengths.

Because whatever I don't spend on this will be that much more to spend on other things, like fuel bills, minimal entertainment etc.
Blimey, how much do you think they will charge for a few strips of steel, I have a fabricators next to where I work and we buy 40mm x 3mm x 3mtrs for £8 each, they would probably charge a minimal amount just to cut it to size or sort out some off cuts.

Because whatever I don't spend on this will be that much more to spend on other things, like fuel bills, minimal entertainment etc.
Just had a thought, has it got to be 1.5mm, I have some 1mm here you can have for free if you are ever near lakeside Essex? all you have to do then is cut it up.

Hi - for a project, I need possibly a few dozen steel strips, say 1.5mm × 5or6mm x 200mm.
I can't find anything on ebay, but there are plenty of sheets of that thickness.

Does anyone have an idea for turning a sheet into strips?

I've a feeling a bandsaw might cope with that thickness (at the cost of a new blade!), but it wouldn't be exactly precise - almost certainly wobbly as anything, especially after the first one.

If it was aluminium I might try just scoring a line then bending in a vice, but I don't think steel (probly mild) would be amenable to being scored.

As always, it's the little things that you don't think of at first that block the road!
Thanks,

PS: I suppose I *could* use aluminum, but I'd prefer steel.
Two strips of steel angle iron clamping the plate and cutting down the edge with a slitting disc on a grinderette. Alternatively go to a sheet metalworks and get them to shear some off a plate. A small friendly company will oblige I’m sure. Brundles may be able to supply if you look at their online catalogue.

Last edited:
Just had a thought, has it got to be 1.5mm, I have some 1mm here you can have for free if you are ever near lakeside Essex? all you have to do then is cut it up.
Thanks for the thought, but 1.5 is much less bendy, and I don't get to Grays, my hometown, as much as I used to. Besides, on the way I'd have to go past Brundles Treasure House of Metal, and I don't trust myself! Cheers a lot though.

Blimey, how much do you think they will charge for a few strips of steel, I have a fabricators next to where I work and we buy 40mm x 3mm x 3mtrs for £8 each, they would probably charge a minimal amount just to cut it to size or sort out some off cuts.
Yes, sure, if you're lucky with a friendly local. 10 years ago the nearest to me charged £15 for less than a metre of I can't remember what, which was basically an offcut to them.
I suppose the Goldilocks Principle applies - they have to be not so big that they won't interrupt a more profitable process for you, and not so small that they're self-important and snotty :)
Since then I discovered Brundles!

Guillotine is the ideal tool but failing that if I had a similar need I might be tempted to use my jigsaw along with a straight edge as I can get a really nice cut with Saxton blades..

Gilbow snips will cut it then dress it flat. Bacho pass through Universal's will do the job as well with less dressing.
Tony

Back