steam bending

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwoodjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
I know you can use a wallpaper steamer for bending wood but not sure which one to get. I know earlex do one has anybody tried this model.Ideas or suggestions please.

Yes, I've used an Earlex, I've also used a couple of electric kettles with hoses epoxied on to the spout, and at one stage I had an old tea urn converted to steam production. With small capacity stuff like kettles and wall paper strippers the trick is to make your bending box reasonably small and insulate it well, but if you do those things then you'll be fine. Making a functioning steam box isn't hard, the fun only begins when you pull the workpiece out of the steam box, up to that point it's all a breeze!

Good luck!

I'd tend to overbend it slightly to allow for a bit of spring-back though...

If you built your own steam generator it must have a pressure release valve, ie a separate cork in the tin or similar ....this also allows you to fill up when steaming larger timbers.
while working in boat yards there were stories of very close shaves with exploding cannisters! Powerful stuff steam, but amazing what can be achieved, one yard had a 2x2 steamed in a knot hung on the wall.

Latest posts

Back